Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

If you have a 6th gen w/Monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Default If you have a 6th gen w/Monsoon system

Your front speakers are 5.25" components with a 1" (approximate) tweeter and the rears are 6x9's

If you connect a tweeter to the midrange speaker leads, there will be no high end output

You can put in 6.5's up front, but you will have to make cut outs in the factory speaker mounting bracket. Some people have said they had to cut the door panel as well, I did not have the problem.

You can run the replacement speakers off the factory amp, but the overall output will decrease significantly unless you are using 2ohm speakers. You will notice an increase in SQ, however.

The amp that came with your system from the factory is a 200 watt amp (at 2ohms) and is made by Panasonic

You can run the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit, but will have to buy an interface in order to keep your door chimes. Said interface will allow you to bypass having to relocate your factory head unit, although you can do so if you would still like to reset your message center messages with the head unit instead of the pedals.

I know most of you guys here already know these things, this is for those who don't as there is alot of misinformation being spread around. I can do a write up on the process for removing the factory speakers if needed, I already have the pics to go along with it.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Default RE: If you have a 6th gen w/Monsoon system

04 somthing else i have seen the applies here.

You can retain teh sterring wheel controlls with a aftermarket head unit . You have to buy the adaptor but you can get them from Crutchfeild.com
and you will still have controll threw the wheel also.

also i would not minde seeing the photos you have, I got rained out this weekend, with out a gradge to get in to the doors and rear deck are goign to have to wit till next week i think;'

Old 08-14-2005, 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

04 somthing else i have seen the applies here.

You can retain teh sterring wheel controlls with a aftermarket head unit . You have to buy the adaptor but you can get them from Crutchfeild.com
and you will still have controll threw the wheel also.

also i would not minde seeing the photos you have, I got rained out this weekend, with out a gradge to get in to the doors and rear deck are goign to have to wit till next week i think;'
I don't have steering wheel controls so I wouldn't know But thanks for the info.

No prob, I'll get the pics uploaded. Anything in particular you wanna see?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 PM

almost wish i didnt somedays LOL

as far as the pic's im just tryign to see how you got the spekers in the doors I ended up gettign 6.25's also thinking that is what i had in the doors. So i guess i should have read before i bought LOL
but i have the Kapa infin.componets that im going to be putting in

Old 08-14-2005, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

almost wish i didnt somedays LOL

as far as the pic's im just tryign to see how you got the spekers in the doors I ended up gettign 6.25's also thinking that is what i had in the doors. So i guess i should have read before i bought LOL
but i have the Kapa infin.componets that im going to be putting in
Well, what I can show you is the cuts that I needed to make to get my speakers to fit. Also, when you attempt the install, if they don't bolt right in and you need to make cuts, align the speaker so the bottom part is where it should be then mark where the cuts need to be. If I could do it over again, I'd have a dremel w/cut off wheel, but what's done is done. I'll have the pics up shortly.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 AM

If you look closely you can see the outline I drew on the speaker housing showing where I need to cut

This shows the midbass installed in the housing and the housing reinstalled on the door panel

And this is the finished product

Old 08-15-2005, 04:54 AM

looks nice, i was wondering where you were going to put the tweeter, I had thought of mounting it in the the A piller up in the front fireing back at you or to the pax side . then the same on the other side so you could get them high enough and still get the sound Q.

When you cut your pannel was there anythign you needed to worry about? i should know about before i do this?
I actually like that placement

Old 08-16-2005, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the compliment.

I initially wanted to put the tweets in the sail panel but they were too big to fit there.

My logic for tweeter placement was too keep the tweeters as close to the mids as possible for imaging and staging reasons. You aren't gonna be able to mount them much higher, if at all, because on the back of the panel just above where I installed the tweeters, there is a circular thing with a bolt in it. That bolt holds the top part of the inner door panel to the door panel, if that makes sense. I should have taken a picture of it, but you'll see once you get it off. That's about all you need to worry about. Oh, and be careful with the switches as they aren't very easy to remove. People say to unplug them, hah, easier said than done. I ended up removing the whole switch *** from the door panel, all three of em on the driver door. Cause when you get the panel off, there isn't enough slack to get behind there and see how to release the plugs so it was just less of a headache remove them altogether. I kinda messed up on the passenger side though. I was attempting to remove the window switch when I pulled it apart, it wasn't fun getting those pins all lined up and the switch back together, I thought I was gonna have to replace it but my skills pulled me through and it works as good as ever.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 AM

yeah i delt with that switch b4 LOL

Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 PM

MAN I GOT IT IN FINALLY TODAY!!!!

Sounds so nice to have a stereo again LOL

Also re reading what you posted i had a factory amp but it was from Jensen LOL Wonder how many there are out ther for if they change between 03-04?

Ended up getteing the hifonics Nemesis 750D amp for the box and then added my amp i had here that is a kicker Impulse for the front speakers it is the 352i Just in the factory speakers it sounds so much better but i have to get the others in the front done soon or i will not ahve any left LOL
After being so darned careful about how to run that amp lead all the way back so it was out of sight and nice looking (for the shows) it took me like 4 hours to run the wires (chasing and feeding kids in the middel of it all ) but it is in and looks nice and is a defenate diffrence over the factory system.

I found out they make another smaller amp for the same name so i think when i get a cupel extr hunderd saved up i will get that one for the front speakers so i have a match set of amps under there just so it looks a bit nicer. Then i will put the kicker int eh wifes car for her stero that is a factory one anyway and she will never up grade it. but if i add this to it and some after market speakers low power she will enjoy it so much more.

the only thing that bugs me is the RCA cabels having the remote molded in to them Wont this cause the whining sound int he radio?
I havent heard it to much yet but then i havent tried to creat it ethier. I did buy a good kit for runnign all of this so i would hope the wires are sheilded good enough.

Quick Reply: If you have a 6th gen w/Monsoon system