Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

How can i instal an aftermarket radio without lossing the message warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Question How can i instal an aftermarket radio without lossing the message warnings?

Hello everyone. im am wondering how i can install an after market sterio in my 2000 Monte Carlo SS. because as you all probably know all the message controlls run through the radio, for example like to reset the oil light or the tire pressure. so if you could help me it would be really awesome!! Thank You!!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM

do you have one of these guys?

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/538

Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM

SonicElectronics sells those for less than $60.

But buyer be warned, that damn adapter caused me the headache of all headaches, including causing communication faults that resulted in me intermittently losing my power brakes.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Get one of the correct adapters like linked to above and you'll be fine. You can reset both of those lights without the factory radio, as described in your owner's manual. The only thing you lose is the ability to change settings for your keyless entry, like whether or not the lights flash or horn sounds when you lock/unlock the doors.

The forum's search feature is your friend.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 AM

An alternative is to relocate your stock radio into either the Trunk (with commercially available relocation harness) or into the Glove box. For the latter, there are only 5 wires that need to be spliced and routed to the glovebox (ignition power, accessory power, bata bus, and two grounds IIRC).

Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dyonysis
An alternative is to relocate your stock radio into either the Trunk (with commercially available relocation harness) or into the Glove box. For the latter, there are only 5 wires that need to be spliced and routed to the glovebox (ignition power, accessory power, bata bus, and two grounds IIRC).
That's what i'm doing this time around

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM

when u do that.. do you have to buy the $100 add on? And how much is it to do that?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by captaindamnit
when u do that.. do you have to buy the $100 add on? And how much is it to do that?
You don't need the radio replacement module to relocate your radio to the glove box. Just some wire and connectors/solder. Either way, you will need to buy a module to allow the steering wheel controls to work with your aftermarket deck if you want that. I think they run about $100.

Last edited by Dyonysis; 05-04-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Pic was really big, should correct to a reasonable size itself once the server refreshes
Old 05-04-2010, 02:14 AM

I went ahead and bought the relocation harness, got it for a damn good price! Plug and play is my friend!!! I had been thinking about where i'm going to relocate it to and the center console armrest was my preferred location but that's a no go.....Didn't think it would fit the glove box so didn't even consider it..did you have to do some cutting of the glove box to get it to fit in there?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM

It will fit in the glove box like a..... glove. You might have to cut a whole in the back for the wiring.

Quick Reply: How can i instal an aftermarket radio without lossing the message warnings?