Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Hood insulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hood insulation

I go to a lot of car shows and always have my hood up. I was wondering if anyone has like the SS emblem in the hood insulation like people have for the trunk. If so where did you get it or how did you do it? Thanks!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04LaVaSS
I go to a lot of car shows and always have my hood up. I was wondering if anyone has like the SS emblem in the hood insulation like people have for the trunk. If so where did you get it or how did you do it? Thanks!
I believe Mitch has a bowtie painted on the insulation. You could just tape it off and paint it with some high temp paint.

I have thought about doing something like this but my insulation is way too dirty Does anyone know if they are washable?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I believe Mitch has a bowtie painted on the insulation. You could just tape it off and paint it with some high temp paint.

I have thought about doing something like this but my insulation is way too dirty Does anyone know if they are washable?
I did

You really don't need to wash it and I wouldn't, it's not the best material, just paint it black. You can paint it with high-temp paint, painting it lightly works way better than heavily, for some reason painting heavy doesn't show up at all (when I did the red), it just soaks up and disappears, weird right?

When I did it, I sprayed the center part red, let it dry, taped it off in the bowtie form and then sprayed the rest black and it turned out great, my dimensions aren't perfect, but it looks alright and is hard to notice any issues with.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I did

You really don't need to wash it and I wouldn't, it's not the best material, just paint it black. You can paint it with high-temp paint, painting it lightly works way better than heavily, for some reason painting heavy doesn't show up at all (when I did the red), it just soaks up and disappears, weird right?

When I did it, I sprayed the center part red, let it dry, taped it off in the bowtie form and then sprayed the rest black and it turned out great, my dimensions aren't perfect, but it looks alright and is hard to notice any issues with.
Hmmm this might be my weekend project. So don't wash it? Even when there is visibly dirt and grime on it?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Hmmm this might be my weekend project. So don't wash it? Even when there is visibly dirt and grime on it?
If there's stuff that's on the outside of the insulation, use a damp cloth to wipe it off, but if it's something that has died the insulation so it's just a little discolored, just leave it.

It may be different on the 5th gens, but on the 6th gens the material used for the insulation is pretty fragile and tears like paper even though it's 10 times thicker.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM

If there's stuff that's on the outside of the insulation, use a damp cloth to wipe it off, but if it's something that has died the insulation so it's just a little discolored, just leave it.

It may be different on the 5th gens, but on the 6th gens the material used for the insulation is pretty fragile and tears like paper even though it's 10 times thicker.
I'm pretty sure it's similar. I can see that it will tear easily. I've already got a few small tears in it from things rubbing. I think I'll have to try this

Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 PM

I did

Does the material comes off or you will have to spray while its on the hood? I am highly interested...

Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rgant_19
Does the material comes off or you will have to spray while its on the hood? I am highly interested...
Its held on by 5 little push pins so its super easy to do

Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Its held on by 5 little push pins so its super easy to do
X2 Super easy to pull off to paint and just forget about putting it back on

I pulled mine when I re-installed my stock hood. Thought about keeping it to paint but idk why I didn't lol.. It was a little dirty and I was too nervous to waste paint on it.

The bowtie looks great though, for the OP I say do a big SS under there in red

Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
X2 Super easy to pull off to paint and just forget about putting it back on

I pulled mine when I re-installed my stock hood. Thought about keeping it to paint but idk why I didn't lol.. It was a little dirty and I was too nervous to waste paint on it.

The bowtie looks great though, for the OP I say do a big SS under there in red
Well I was thinking a big white SS and outlining it in red but leaving a space between the white and red for the black to show considering that's how I did the pin-stripes on the car

Quick Reply: Hood insulation