Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

HID's Good Price.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Default RE: HID's Good Price.

Thus far I am very impressed with them. However you guys got me a little "shock" because of this whole harness thing. I didn't think about this before ordering my kit (bad move on my part). I've gotten nothing but rave reviews about them though.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:23 PM

man im sorry i wasent trying to scare ya.
jus thad heard of this and wanted to make sure tha tyou knew of it and also made sure tha tit didnt happen to you.

For all i know they bought a inferior kit and didnt get a good ground.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 PM

My kit came complete Plug and Play, there were no wires to run for them, which is what I was looking for. I read the the kits the require extra wires to be run, usually fail. It's ok, I wasn't scared off, I'm still rocking th HID's, I love them, I just hope they don't cost me in the long run. But you can bet I'm gonna be watching the wires.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM

I sell HID kits for motorcycles. HID's take a big jump before they'll light up, just like you're tv. Ever noticed if you had your tv on and the power went out, when the power comes back it takes longer than normal for the picture to be at regular brightness? HID is the same idea. The electronic module (usually seperate from the bulb itself) is typically called a "ballast" This is nothing more than a voltage converter and a Capacitor (sp?). Basically the "ballast" converts the regular 12v dc to the correct voltage for the bulb to power it up, well to do this it has to fill up the capacitor first, before the bulb will light. Once the cap is full (the first .55 seconds give or take half a second) the wattage draw reduces to the standard 35 watts. But while filling up the cap the draw can be much much higher. On motorcycles (due to smaller batteries and weaker charging systems) they actually reccomend that the bike be started before current is delivered to the headlights, so you have to put an inline switch. On vehicles this isn't a problem, unless the wiring can't handle that first current 'spike' where it would blow wiring. This Bosch kit might have a more complicated "ballast" that charges the cap more slowly, reducing the spike in the current draw.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 AM

White05LT, how are those HID's doing now? I know this is an old thread, but I am doin as much research on HID's before I buy some. Ever have any problems? I know some cheap kits blow out bulbs and ballasts. How did your wiring hold up? What brand do you have? All I see on that website is Pilot. Any issues with headlight housings yellowing or melting? Thanks

Justin