Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

HID install problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: HID install problem

UPDATE:

Well i fixed the problem, it was a bad fuse. So im driving home tonight and i stop to get some interior cleaner for my car. i start my car and what do you know, the light is flickering again. It blew another fuse. Im confused now, cause i cant keep blowing fuses. I replaced the fuse again and now its fine. It has to be a ground right? i looked for the ground wire but their are so many wires i dunno where to look haha. can anyone help me find it? its my passenger side. Also, i dont have the ballast mounted anywhere on the passenger side, its just sitting next to the battery not mounted to anything. The drivers side is mounted to the inside of the compartment and it hasnt had a single problem. Does the ballast have to be mounted to ground it? i wouldnt think it would need to be grounded but i dunno. i really need help cause im taking a roadtrip tomorrow night!

Thanks to all!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM

are you sure you put the right fuse back because i thought when i replaced mine it was a 15a fuse and not a 10a fuse like you said before.

but i could be wrong it is getting late here and i am tired.

aslo it would probably be a good idea to mount the ballast. I mounted mine on the front bumper. I think i have a pic some where that i will post for an idea of where to put it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...lo/LEDS028.jpg

Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

In the owners manual its a 10a fuse, but i was thinking of trying a 15a this time. I just went out to get something outta my car and there it is, flickering again. thats 3 fuses today! so ya, it wouldnt do anything if i put in a 15a fuse instead of a 10a fuse right? but if its blowing fuses like that, something has to be wrong. im going to try to mount mine real quick tomorrow if i can before the trip, even though im super pressed for time since i have work in the morning. thanks for the pic too!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Do you use the remote to unlock your car? and if you do when you do it do your HIDs come on? if you do stop stop stop. it is bad for the HIDs also it might be why you keep blowing fuses.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

wow, i did do that tonight to get out my wiper cleaner from the trunk and didnt have a problem until i did that. i will stop doing that, but would it hurt to put in a 15a fuse instead of using another 10a fuse?

also, my headlights come on when i lock and unlock the car too. is it just the trunk button i should stay away from?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Also, do you know where i could locate the ground for that side? i cant find it anywhere. the only ground i can find is the ground that is connected to the battery negative. thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

FIXED!

so this weekends road trip to L.A. (from SF is a 7 hour trip) was great, got on average 28.2 mpg! wasnt expecting that with 5 people and a full trunk. pretty sweet. anyways, i put in a 20a fuse for my headlight and it never went out. is that unusual or should i have done that in the first place when i installed my HID kit? anyways, thanks for all the help!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:36 PM

i have no idea about any of the fuses, i just dont know about stuff like that.

I just stopped all together using my remote on my keys i always just unlock the door the old classic way now with my HIDs, also i will only open the trunk by using the button on the inside of the car.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 PM

I just stopped all together using my remote on my keys i always just unlock the door the old classic way now with my HIDs, also i will only open the trunk by using the button on the inside of the car.
That should not cause ANY thing to go bad... I may have missed something... does this cause an issue with the HID's?!?!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Aside from the aforementioned accessories being controlled by the Bodywork Controm Module ... their usage shouldn't have a direct effect upon one another.

Did you "Test light" the Circuit you Spliced the HID's into. There are wires to the Headlights that are +12 Volts ON all the time ... and the BCM controls their Grounding.

This was a problem for me. My Fog Lights will stay ON unless I switch them off ... even with the Key OFF and the Doors Locked because the Headlights are still powered although not Grounded. The Power ... although the Lights are OFF ... stays Hot ... until you turn the Key ON and the Circuit to Ground them is closed.

Quick Reply: HID install problem