Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

HID install problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default HID install problem

Hi all,

new to the forum but did some searching and didnt come up with an answer, so i head to you all for some light shined on this.
I bought an HID kit from Eurofx.com, got it installed and everything and it worked great for a month or so, then the right light started flickering. i did some research and it showed that my ballast probably went out. It was under warrany for life, so i sent it back and got a new one today. i installed it, but still the same answer, my light flickers. I took it to a stereo/install place that sells and does these installs all the time, and he tested it with his ballast and checked all my fuses to make sure they all were working. they did. He said that with some GM cars, they have to wire an auxillary power to the battery for the lights, but he said that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. He wanted me to ask the forums if other 2003 monte's have the same problem. Just wanted to ask you if you all have ever heard or had this problem. Thanks for any answers!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Default RE: HID install problem

first off welcome,

my HIDs flickered for a while but that was because i blew a fuse.

This is just a shot in the dark but you might want to check your grounding wires just to make sure they are secure.

also the conection might just be loose from the ballast to the bulb. but i wouldn't now how to fix that. sorry

Good luck though

Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 PM

I'm thinking this has something to do with the Bodywork Control Module. If the BCM is set to run a preset amperage to the headlights and the installation of the HID's alters that value ... you have trouble.

That's why I didn't try wiring my Fog Lights to a ststem not ready for them and went "Off System and Off BCM" to power the Fog Lights.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

so i read on another thread that someones headlight wasnt working because they blew a fuse called "ext lgt" under the hood in the fuse panel. im gonna check the ground tomorrow, but im unsure where i would look for that at....any help in pointing me in the direction would be appreciated. i had the fuses tested and they all came back good, but would that still be the case even if the ground was shorted? and if the ground was shorted, wouldnt the light not even light up at all? the other thread says that it still would, and it fixed his problem but he didnt have HID's. I need them fixed ASAP cause im taking a roadtrip this weekend and cant ride 1 light!

Thanks to all!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 AM

you need to wire in a relay my buddy said. i am not sure how though, i was gonna have him type in what he did but he left class already. i would double check your grounds though and make sure that they are secure.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: schmicr

you need to wire in a relay my buddy said. i am not sure how though, i was gonna have him type in what he did but he left class already. i would double check your grounds though and make sure that they are secure.
i dont think that you would need a relay, because mine are working fine now after i blew a fuse about a week ago. I have had them in for probably a month now.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM

I just read your post in a different topic and your problem sounds identical to what mine was doing. I would turn on the car the headlight(lowbeam) would flicker than just turn off and this was on my driverside. then when i would put it in drive and i would get the warning light "high beam out". also my lowbeams would never come on while i was having this problem.

Just replace the fuse to your Lowbeam passenger side and it should fix. It fixxed it for me.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well i fixed my problem. i took out the 10a fuse for the right passenger side and bought a fuse pack, since its probably worth the 20 bucks to have extra fuses of all sizes handy. replaced the fuse and reconnected my ballast and presto....HID back on and no more warning lights. dont need to rewire the headlights or anything for HID's, just need to keep fuses handy guys. Thanks for all the help, especially to you 2000blackss. Now i just need to figure out why my steering is making a clicking noise, feels like its loose...but thats for another post haha.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM

That noise in you steering might be the Intermediate Steering Shaft. There's paper on how they dry-up and s kit to install to correct it. Looks like a handful of work getting that shaft out to do the mod. If you have any warranty left ... I'd run that one by the dealership ... or, ... at least give Chevy Customer Satisfaction a call and see what they recommend for you.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: 2003supersport

Thanks for all the help, especially to you 2000blackss.
no problem, i just now how frustrating it can be because it just happened to me last week.

Quick Reply: HID install problem