Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Heated Seats "tactical" mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Smile Heated Seats "tactical" mod

Hi this is my first post and I am doing a write up on how I changed out my stock heated seat switches. Picked up a center console switch faceplate at the junkyard ($1) and painted it a flat black. I am keeping the stock switches intact (but hidden behind the new panel) and utilizing safety toggle switches on the exterior, similar to the ones that are in airplanes.

I ordered 4 in the carbon fiber (pictured above) and one in a transparent blue color. The five switches are all DPDT (dual pole dual throw) toggle switches that are called "center off" which means the switch has a neutral central position. The 5 separate switches are going to be wired like this from left to right:
1. Driver Heated Seat
2. L.E.D. Daytime running lights
3.? electric cutout possibly??? any ideas?
4. Reverse Camera (option to manually turn it on/put it on "auto" so it turns on with the reverse lights)
5. Passenger Heated Seat

The heated seat switches are unusual and the best explanation is the diagram. Keep in mind the switch uses a moving piece that connects 4 pads at a time so it may look confusing when diagrammed.

I am going to update this page as it progresses. So far the switches are wired and the original function and wiring of the switches is intact. Please note that this mod keeps the factory harness intact and should not damage the OEM Switches if done correctly. I trimmed a small cutout on the sides of the OEM switches so that the new wires can come and still allow the switch's enclosure to snap shut.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think this is a pretty cool project and can't wait to see the results. The electric cut out seems like a pretty good idea. Other great ideas are an ejection passenger seat or a "super pursuit" mode, but thats not going to happen. I once knew a guy that had a whiskey dispenser wired up under the dash but his was just through the washer fluid system and switch. If you need a front license plate, you could wire the switch to one of those hideaway plate frames - they are available. I've been considering this. But I like the electric cutout. I've never actually known anyone who did this

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 AM

By the way this is a diagram for the 2004 monte carlo ss that comes with heated seats, the new switch faceplate came from a monte without heated seats so it's just smooth plastic and the switches will be mounted onto it.

I appreciate the feedback, im trying to confirm the correct setup for the cutout to pass emissions in missouri, i already know the ejector seat wont pass :p and i know people talk down on cutouts but this one is mainly for the noise/intimidation factor not track runs

Also putting in a carbon fiber dash kit to accent the carbon fiber switches. Pictures shortly after ups gets here lol

Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know how intimidating these V6's really sound. It'll be loud - no doubt, but it also sounds kinda poopy