Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I would be curious if you can dis-assemble a bad/failed MFS and find what is going bad in them (and if it can be fixed).

But sadly, the MFS is my first guess.
I wish I could but once I get it open I'd have a feeling I don't know what I'm looking for seems to happen once a year, wussy I wanna do is unplug it clean all connectors maybe dielectric grease and see if that works before I order another one

Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I'd just look for anything that seems obvious, like a damaged internal wire of trace.

Heck, my '04 Grand Am had an issue with the MFS causing the turnsignal click to happen randomly. Turned out that was common for the '99-'05 Grand Ams and a simple fix was online. They came with too much die-electric grease for the wand to slide across various touch points. Overtime the grease goops up with enough dirt in it that it can make brief and low power connections (would click the flasher module once or twice but never actually activated the turn signal). Fix was disassemble, clean the old grease and use a tiny, TINY dab to refresh it. I did that and zero problems with the MFS in that car.

I don't know how the MFS in the Monte operates (I doubt the Grand Am fix applies, but crazy food for thought).

Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If one Gm product is known issue and a similar issue in another GM product of similar year, it is worth looking at ...
to much dielectric grease is not good, it is only to help prevent corrosion on the contact

Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 AM
10 Year Member

ok so i found the likely suspect i will need to order another one or find a junkyard but the white connector is the car harness and the black one is to the multifuntion switch, im thinking is there a way to also change out the one to the car or that would be way to complicated...

Old 06-26-2016, 11:03 PM

10 Year Member

WOW! This reminds me of a rear defroster issue in the '06-'07 Monte ('06+ Impala).

First, do you have aftermarket head lights? I hope Keane chimes in on this. He had an issue with aftermarket headlights that appears to have over heated the wiring on the headlights (if I recall correctly). I hope he chimes in to straighten out any information I butchered.

As for the connector, you might be best clipping the wires out of the connector and finding a different connector to join them (maybe even add a fuse holder and a fuse). It looks like something was moving more current then that factory connector was designed for. Otherwise, swapping the connector could be more difficult (even if you released the pins from the plastic connector and installed a new plastic connector, you still have an issue that the one pin is messed up and well probably mess it up again).
My big question is why it did that (hence why I lean on wondering about aftermarket headlights based on something Keane had experience with).

Old 06-27-2016, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member

No, no aftermarket headlights I do have a slight issue with rear defroster ( one line is broken) doubt that might have something to do with it, was thinking about getting another connector just because of that burnt pin

Old 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM

10 Year Member

Ok so factory headlights.

That is weird. Wonder if one of the mfs failures caused that burning. Have you tried seeing if you could clean that pin (maybe it was not making a good connection)? Just a thought until figuring out the best long term fix.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member

I tried to clean the pin with a toothbrush but nothing really, the new switch will be in tomorrow so I will deal with that for now, this one lasted me 2 years I believe

Old 08-11-2016, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member

So quick update it's been two months and it seems like my switch it back out again my headlights just randomly stopped working so when I get home I am going to check the switch to see if his birth do anybody know what this which is called so I can try to replace it though harness that connects to the car that's in previous pictures