Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Is it hard to hook up subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Milhouse
It's always nice to see a lady into car audio as much as us...she's still got some things to learn, like wiring a sub out of phase isn't going to damage it and a sub isn't make to have power going only one way, but she knows more than most girls

Just for clarification...the only way you're going to damage a sub by wiring it out of phase is if said sub has dual voice coils and one coil is wired in phase and the other out of phase. But if your sub is SVC, there is no damage to be done and electricity can flow just the same when the polarity is reversed.
I know, but I wasn't going to critizcize lol. :P I was saying the brands she suggested were good. My favorite brands are infinity, jbl, alpine, Rockford fosgate, alpine, higher end MTX, some Memphis, and jl.

Then if you have the money there is Fi, SMD, DC Soundlabs.. And a few others that would make you feel like your head is going to pop off with the right amp. Steve Meade has always used Fi subwoofers, or now he makes the SMD, and then nice Rockford amps.

Last edited by brendan127; 05-13-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by brendan127
I know, but I wasn't going to critizcize lol. :P I was saying the brands she suggested were good. My favorite brands are infinity, jbl, alpine, Rockford fosgate, alpine, higher end MTX, some Memphis, and jl.

Then if you have the money there is Fi, SMD, DC Soundlabs.. And a few others that would make you feel like your head is going to pop off with the right amp. Steve Meade has always used Fi subwoofers, or now he makes the SMD, and then nice Rockford amps.
Generally speaking, those underground brands are going to give you the best bang for your buck over those mainstream brands mainly because they're sold direct but also because they're usually overbuilt and underrated. It's just most people don't take a chance on them either cause they don't know about them or since they aren't a recognized (mainstream) brand they don't give them a consideration. I really wasn't trying to criticize, trying to educate is more like it Nothing worse than the blind leading the blind.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
A girl that knows good audio... where did you come from? :O

But I would listen to her input, Rockford Fosgate is a top pick from me.
Thanks, I like my beats.

Originally Posted by 16With01MonteSS
where in michigan are u from ?
I'm from up north Michigan called Newaygo, 45 mins north of Grand Rapids.

To Milhouse, I don't have much experience with single voice coil subs, I've always stayed away from them and had dual voice coils, which are typically much better and have much more power. I was talking about running a dual voice coil backwards not a single.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
To Milhouse, I don't have much experience with single voice coil subs, I've always stayed away from them and had dual voice coils, which are typically much better and have much more power. I was talking about running a dual voice coil backwards not a single.
DVC subs can be run out of phase just the same, no difference. The only time it would be a problem is if one coil was in phase and the other was out. Other than that, its all good

Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
Thanks, I like my beats.

I'm from up north Michigan called Newaygo, 45 mins north of Grand Rapids.

im 20 minutes ish from Detroit