Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Is it hard to hook up subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Default Is it hard to hook up subs

i already have subs in my car but ive upgraded.! Pretty excited so should it be easy for me to install these myself, just follow the old wires with the new cords? Or should i have someone else doit since ive never done it before any advice with be appreciated! (:

Last edited by 16With01MonteSS; 05-06-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

I would have someone else show you how to do it first, if you don't hook them up right you can blow the subs (like hooking them up backwords), but youtube has some AWESOME videos on hooking the stuff up if you want to learn how to do it. I learned how to wire two different amps up to two subs on there and it helps a lot. GL!

-Ash

Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
I would have someone else show you how to do it first, if you don't hook them up right you can blow the subs (like hooking them up backwords), but youtube has some AWESOME videos on hooking the stuff up if you want to learn how to do it. I learned how to wire two different amps up to two subs on there and it helps a lot. GL!

-Ash
Shouldnt it be easy since all i would have to do is follow the other wires

Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its super easy.... but...

What size is the wire and what size is the old amp and new amp?

The speaker wire should be 16ga by default with subs if the person knew what they were doing sothat should be fine also the RCAs should be fine

You do need to worry about frying the power and ground thither rest should be fine

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Its super easy.... but...

What size is the wire and what size is the old amp and new amp?

The speaker wire should be 16ga by default with subs if the person knew what they were doing sothat should be fine also the RCAs should be fine

You do need to worry about frying the power and ground thither rest should be fine
The old ones wernt that good just 2 10's. Now i got a deal at a audio store around me, 2x 12" Memphis SR's witha memphis amp and 2 tweeters for 650$. All the wires included.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you are changing everything out and have no idea you may want to have someone else help you or pay to have it done. If you using the existing wiring for the power and signal just label everything when you disconnect it and make sure the new amp connects the same. Maybe even take pics so you dont forget. Also make sure you disconnect the battery before you touch anything. And Like ashley said youtube is a good tool if you get stuck

Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM

Contrary to public opinion, wiring a sub out of phase (pos to neg and vice versa) will not blow a sub. But it will make it sound absolutely horrible! Just observe how everything is wired up, write it down and mark the wires if you have to, it's very easy though.

@Ashley.Marie - It's not a good idea to hook two different amps to two different subs, especially if the subs are in the same box. But even if they aren't, you're going to run into issues with phase alignment, cancellation, your subs are going to be getting different power levels due to the gain/xover/low pass and subsonic filter levels all being set different from one amp to another. Hopefully you meant two different amps and two different subs on two different installations.

Originally Posted by 16With01MonteSS
The old ones wernt that good just 2 10's. Now i got a deal at a audio store around me, 2x 12" Memphis SR's witha memphis amp and 2 tweeters for 650$. All the wires included.
This is why I hate stereo shops.....Memphis SR 12's are 250rms subs, so i'm hoping he sold you the Memphis SR 1.500 amp, but also hoping he sold you 4ohm subs since that amp does it's rated 500rms power @ 2 ohms. Even still, a pair of those subs and that amp are wildly overpriced at $650, even with the tweeters. Those subs retail for $90ea....that amp retails for $250....just for comparisons sake, you could get an AudioQue AQ1200.1 amp direct from AudioQue for $269 shipped. That amp is super solid and will do more than rated power and is very effecient, not to mention it's over twice the power of that Memphis amp. And if you want some subs that can handle that power, AQ makes some SDC2.5 12" subs that'll take that and then some, and they're $139.99ea. So for $100 less you'll end up with almost triple the power and far superior product and the realization that the "deal" the shop hooked you up with only works out for them cause they more than tripled their cost for what they sold you.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Wiring subs backwards will ruin the voicecoils. The subs are made to have power going one way and that is why when you wire them backwards it sounds horrible. My setup is perfect and it was put together by prof installers, but I wired it all.

Not sure if you have already purchased everything, but I would check out your local craigslist for better subs. A lot of the systems I have gotten were through craigslist and if you know what they are supposed to sound like and look like your all set. I have alpine type x's now, but I typically stick with rockford fosgate stuff. IMO those are two of the best "non-hardcore competition" subs and amps, etc. JL is also very, very good.

Good luck with your set up, most everything is pretty simple. If you have any questions feel free to ask, a lot of people on here are quick to respond!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
Wiring subs backwards will ruin the voicecoils. The subs are made to have power going one way and that is why when you wire them backwards it sounds horrible. My setup is perfect and it was put together by prof installers, but I wired it all.
Have you never ran subs in a 6th order isobaric bandpass enclosure? If you had both subs wired pos to pos and neg to neg then both subs would pushing and pulling at the same time and would cancel each other out. In this situation it is absolutely necessary for you to wire one of the subs out of phase to ensure they don't cancel each other out. Utilizing the phase shift switch on an amp does the exact same thing, except it does it internally, making the pos wire negative and vice versa. So like I said, simply wiring a sub out of phase will NOT blow it. If subs were meant to have power going one way, there wouldn't be a phase switch on amps or included as a feature on head units. Nor would there be isobaric enclosures or setups where half of the subs are mounted normally and the other half inverted....all of these setups REQUIRE that half of the subs be wired out of phase.

Well, I know who picked the product for your system, know who wired it up, but who tuned it? How did you make sure the gains on both amps are set exactly the same? How did you make sure the lpf and ssf on both amps are set exactly the same?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Contrary to public opinion, wiring a sub out of phase (pos to neg and vice versa) will not blow a sub. But it will make it sound absolutely horrible! Just observe how everything is wired up, write it down and mark the wires if you have to, it's very easy though.

@Ashley.Marie - It's not a good idea to hook two different amps to two different subs, especially if the subs are in the same box. But even if they aren't, you're going to run into issues with phase alignment, cancellation, your subs are going to be getting different power levels due to the gain/xover/low pass and subsonic filter levels all being set different from one amp to another. Hopefully you meant two different amps and two different subs on two different installations.

This is why I hate stereo shops.....Memphis SR 12's are 250rms subs, so i'm hoping he sold you the Memphis SR 1.500 amp, but also hoping he sold you 4ohm subs since that amp does it's rated 500rms power @ 2 ohms. Even still, a pair of those subs and that amp are wildly overpriced at $650, even with the tweeters. Those subs retail for $90ea....that amp retails for $250....just for comparisons sake, you could get an AudioQue AQ1200.1 amp direct from AudioQue for $269 shipped. That amp is super solid and will do more than rated power and is very effecient, not to mention it's over twice the power of that Memphis amp. And if you want some subs that can handle that power, AQ makes some SDC2.5 12" subs that'll take that and then some, and they're $139.99ea. So for $100 less you'll end up with almost triple the power and far superior product and the realization that the "deal" the shop hooked you up with only works out for them cause they more than tripled their cost for what they sold you.
But i got the Box and everything idk the subs 106 each so 212 the amp 275 the box 99. All wires 30. just that is 616, so the tweeters also. adds up i guess

Quick Reply: Is it hard to hook up subs