Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Fuel Gauge Inaccurate and Overhead Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fuel Gauge Inaccurate and Overhead Display

Hey guys, i know this has been asked a bunch of times but i have a different problem. So ive noticed in my Monte that ill drive for like 100 kms or so and my gas gauge wont move, after that it starts to drop down. When i hit around 500kms or so its right on Empty. Now today when i went to fill up i put in 50 Litres exactly. Now i look at the digital Litre used on the over head display and it said i only used 40 litres. Are the 2 gauges tied in together? I have a spare Level sensor from my old monte i never used so i might install that !

Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Hey guys, i know this has been asked a bunch of times but i have a different problem. So ive noticed in my Monte that ill drive for like 100 kms or so and my gas gauge wont move, after that it starts to drop down. When i hit around 500kms or so its right on Empty. Now today when i went to fill up i put in 50 Litres exactly. Now i look at the digital Litre used on the over head display and it said i only used 40 litres. Are the 2 gauges tied in together? I have a spare Level sensor from my old monte i never used so i might install that !

The fuel gauge in these cars takes quiet a while to get to the half way mark, but after that it doesn't take long to reach empty after that. Just an FYI: Running the tank below 1/4 is not good for the fuel pump. It exposes a portion of the fuel pump, and the pump relies upon being submerged for cooling purposes.

Several people have mentioned the DIC is not accurate in their cars. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones because mine seems to be right on the money when I fill my tank. The best way to determine mileage is to use the trip meter and divide mileage by kms.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
The fuel gauge in these cars takes quiet a while to get to the half way mark, but after that it doesn't take long to reach empty after that. Just an FYI: Running the tank below 1/4 is not good for the fuel pump. It exposes a portion of the fuel pump, and the pump relies upon being submerged for cooling purposes.

Several people have mentioned the DIC is not accurate in their cars. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones because mine seems to be right on the money when I fill my tank. The best way to determine mileage is to use the trip meter and divide mileage by kms.
I know not to run it down very much, ive read that our tanks are 64 litres? If so then the gauge should not be on the red empty mark at 50 litres used. I think my level sensor might be garbage