Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

FM transmitters, aux, ect... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default FM transmitters, aux, ect... suggestions?

Hey guys, ive always been pretty bummed that our year (2000-2005) Montes didnt come with an aux jack for our mp3 players. the 06 monte owners got lucky!

So ive always tried to find an alternative. First, tried a Belkin FM transmitter.... junk, horrible connection and it would also decided to make the batteries explode..

Second, tried a Monster FM transmitter which also had a horrible connection.

i want to get a AUX jack installed.. but it costs $120 and they can only do it so its in the glove box... i would want it in the console so it was easy access. (also i have a stock head unit)

any suggestions?! i would just get XM radio if it wasnt so pricey..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM

You could just do the glove box option. Just get a long AUX cord so you can run it up under and into your center console?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You just have to unplug the XM plug and plug in the AUX cable no?

I'm actually happy with my neewer FM transmitter for my ipod touch. Cost about $3 and works fine for me haha

Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is there an iSimple for your car? I have the '06 headunit with Aux in and still prefer the iSimple for it's line level input and can use the steering wheel controls on some functions.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM

i have posted on a post like this before and i would have look it up again but theres a box that splices in between ur factory harness and into the radio and then the splice leads off to a box (u also have to power and ground the box) then u have a red and white rca hook up on the box. u then press cd on ur radio it will say r3 d3 or sumthing and if u got whatever hooked into the aux cord its plays through your stereo and also adds a symbol of 3 or 4 cds stacked on top of each other on the side and really works good for the price (80) bucks if i remember right

eBay My World - integration_solutions

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPOD-IPHONE-...5071#vi-ilComp

says this one would work for mine
if u like me upload pictures i could just let me kno

Last edited by Midnight02; 07-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ah the battle of using your ipod with no aux jack. I used an FM transmitter for the longest time, it worked pretty good but i'd get fed up with static, interfearance etc. So in the monte i got a 2nd factory radio with a cassette player and i now use a cassette adapter. Works good enough for me. its kind of a middle quality between the transmitter and a direct aux plug in. If you've got a cassette player go pick up an adapter

Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 PM

i use a fm transmitter and the quality sucks but i mean your getting music wirelessly transmitted through your ****, what do you expect... for 15 bucks im using this thing and moving it around when it gets staticy and ill deal with it until i get an aftermarket headunit, if you dont care about going aftermarket, you should get a nice alpine or pioneer headunit with a usb jack in the back that you can run through and up to your center console or wherever. or some of em have usb jacks right on the front, you want the usb ipod cord because its excellent quality compared to the 3.5mm jack, which is only so much better than a simple fm transmitter, imo. eventually i will have an entirely revamped audio system. and if what this guy was saying in a previous post about there being rca's somewhere, theres a 3.5mm to L-R rca cord you can buy for reallly cheap run that to the back of the stock radio and plug the other end in to the ipod and go. cheap, that is if there are rca's. idk.