Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Do it yourself window tinting??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Lightbulb Do it yourself window tinting??

So I bought a "pre-cut" window tint set and its been just sitting in my room because the original person who was supposed to install it backed out....So I'm tired of it just sitting here and was wondering if it was a good or bad idea to try to install it myself? I have NEVER done it before so I'm iffy with it.... Anyone done it before? Tips? Idea's? Suggestions? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

do you have a squegee? is the rear window 1 piece or 2? 1 piece will be impossible to do. but if you use the spray and squegee it good, you should be good to go, watch this video for a quick idea of how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8wpA...feature=search

the only thing about that i dont like is he took the protective film off with the tint off, i would leave the tint on the outside of the window and feel off the protective film, and just spray it down from there, it will be much easier. it looks like a lot but isnt too difficult once you get going, just take your time and have fun with it

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good luck... Show us how it looks when you are done. I am interested in doing the same thing.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM

I actually just about 2 weeks just done mines. I have an 81 Monte though.
But my 2 quarter windows and whole back glass....100% by myself. I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing by yourself though....but if you have GREAT patience you can do it yourself, just BE CAREFUL
Not trying to scare you....because I did it myself and was my absolutely first time ever doing tint.

I messed up a little....which were all my fault......if you install it right and TAKE TIME, i'm almost positive you can install it perfect.
I have 2 crease marks in my back glass....and on left quarter window I have 1 crease and some debris in it
Like I said if you clean window good and as directed your good, keep the window and tint wet with soapy water (smallll amount of soap)....and tint is VERY DELICATE (thats how I got
Now with newer cars....if it has compund backglass or w/e....I recommend just letting professional do that one window (prob. only $30 for individual)....or you have to use headgun/blow dryer to get the tint to conform to window And the backglass is the hardest....mines was all in one peice
I rather one whole peice than trying to seal-match two piece (but is a little easier)

Go 2 autoparts (O'Reilleys) and pick up a window tint kit (squeegee, solution, razor blade) and watch YouTube videos

Old 08-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Good luck. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM

yikes i want mine tinted but i don't think i could do it myself

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass, I care too much what my car looks like to have a crappy tint job lol I think im best off waiting for someone who really know's what their doing!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM

yeah its not an DIY job for everyone.......the benefit ratio is great....but the difficulty ratio is slightly high on it....
I just wanted some tint in there now...and likes the sense of accomplishment of doing it
It only cost me $30 or so bucks and A LOT of sweat-equity...my car is cooler, which is the whole real point ....and I plan on getting it all re-done anyway when I paint the car

Technically it should be cheaper to get it done since part of the work is cutting the tint...so the installers will not have to cut anything now, so should be a little cheaper
Window tinting is still expensive IMO.....but at the same time I can see why, its tedious, careful work

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I paid $130 for my car. Lifetime warrantied. It's worth waiting.