Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Confused big time

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Default Confused big time

I know that what I'm going to ask has probably been answered here dozens of times, but that's why I'm totally stumped; info overload. I have a 2001 MC LS AM/FM CD CASS 6 SPKR w/factory amp. I have my old system (HU, trunk mount 6 CD changer, 2ch amp, all Pioneer, + 6x9 and 6.5 Infinity spkrs) that I want to install. Money is a bit tight right now so I want to start with the amp and rear spkrs. I've read about amp bypasses, loc's, splicing, etc,on so many websights, my eyes are going to bleed. Here's my questions.

1 If I splice into the factory wiring to run high level inputs to the new amp, is it done before or after the factory amp?
2 If I use a LOC, do I splice before or after the factory amp?
3 If I use an amp bypass, won't I lose the front speakers?
4 Does anybody know the color codes for the factoryspeaker wires?
5 As long as I just splice into the rear spkrs, the factory amp should still power the front. Y/N?

I appologise forasking something that's probably been answered, but I read that there were differences between the 2000-01 and 2002-up systems, and I don't want to blow anything up. It's also about a 45 minute drive to the nearest reliable shop. Ah, the joys of living in the boonies. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Confused big time

Ok, if you are going to install a new pioneer head unit, you will not need a LOC and I dont see why you would have to bypass the factory amp. Get a wiring harness to install the new head unit, because if you want to tap into the factory wiring, you run the risk of messing something up that can be really hard to undo. A wiring harness is only about 10-15 dollars, but if you want to relocate the factory head unit, then you will need a different wiring harness that can cost up to $80. You might want to look into getting a 4 channel instead of a 2 channel. If you want to keep using the 2 channel, I think you mightget better sound wiring the new head unit directly to the front speakers, and just not use the factory amp at all.Also, I was looking online and it says the front speakers are not 6.5's, but they are 5.25. But that is for a 2000 Monte Carlo, not a 2001 like you have, but I think it might be the same. Also, here is the factory wiring for a 2000 Monte, it should be the same for your 2001.

2000ChevroletMonte CarloStereo Information

Constant 12V+
Orange

Switched 12V+
Yellow

Ground
Black/White

Illumination
Gray/Black

Dimmer
Brown/White

Antenna
Glass

Front Speakers
5 1/4"Doors

Left Front (+)
Tan

Left Front (-)
Gray

Right Front (+)
Light Green

Right Front (-)
Dark Green

Rear Speakers
6" x 9"Rear Deck

Left Rear (+)
Brown

Left Rear (-)
Yellow

Right Rear (+)
Dark Blue

Right Rear (-)
Light Blue

Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Default RE: Confused big time

Thank you for the wiring colors!I do plan to install the HU at one point in the future, as money permits. The relocation harness is a bit expensive right now ($1200 formanifold gaskets + other work done not long ago). That's why I want to start with the basics, amp and speakers.I have someone with a spare LOC he's willing to part with. Thanks again for the wire colors, that'll definately help me out.