Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

car audio nightmare HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM

Well so far i checked the fuses on the driver and passenger side and even went as far as looking in the engine at those fuses then i checked the fuse on the radio but when i use my multimeter and i put it on the orange wire does it have to be 12. Volts or .12 volts or does twelve mean that there is 12 volts no matter what the decmal says? And i even changed my harness from the one that chimes to one that doesnt. I also heard i could get power from the ignition switch but i dont wanna mess that up.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

is the ground good?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
he's asking for help not worthless remarks.
Then why are you posting in the thread?

Anyways, I fail to see a question in his original post so it seemed to me he was sharing his story.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DBS MC
Then why are you posting in the thread?

Anyways, I fail to see a question in his original post so it seemed to me he was sharing his story.
because he was asking for help and I was trying to help him.

hence why i'm troubleshooting the problem. you already pm'd me with your issues don't bring it on the thread also.

to the original poster, you said it works partially, I would check the grounds, if it's not lighting up but ejecting a disk you could have a bad ground, that's where I would check next if I were you

Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

DBS do you have anything helpful to add to this thread or are you just going to be a PITA? Unless you are going to help the poster, how about keeping your remarks to yourself.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02
Double check the fuses, on the radio and the fuse block, check the ground to make sure it wasn't pulled my error, and verify the power wire is hot. Btw, is the deck a pioneer deck? If it is, you may have blown the radio and pico fuse.
Blowing the pico fuse won't prevent the deck from powering up, it'll still come on and play and everything but it will just have a bad whine.

Originally Posted by trewyn15
because he was asking for help and I was trying to help him.

hence why i'm troubleshooting the problem. you already pm'd me with your issues don't bring it on the thread also.

to the original poster, you said it works partially, I would check the grounds, if it's not lighting up but ejecting a disk you could have a bad ground, that's where I would check next if I were you
Get my point yet?

What exactly was his question? I don't see one. So I guess I'll have to assume......

It should be made a rule around here that when you ask for technical help that you should ALWAYS include the products with which you're working that way we don't have to guess or assume. It also would help if you would be clear on exactly what your question is....in this case, are you asking what the cause of the "ozone" smell is, are you asking why the orange wire isn't hot anymore, are you asking why your deck won't come on, are you asking what the pop was, are you asking if we think best buy could handle it, are you asking if/why all your fuses are ok? I have no idea!

I also don't know what deck you have, what you meant when you said "I wired it to the orange wire", what you meant when you said you have to turn it of/on manually, what harness you're using, how you concluded the orange wire isn't hot anymore, how you wired up the deck, and without that info all I can do is quess.

Starting from the top, i'm going to assume that you used a factory harness to connect the new deck to your car, that being said, the orange wire is not to provide power to the deck so it comes on, it's to dim the display when the parking lights/headlights are on. The first thing I would need is for you to take a picture of the connections you made between the new deck and the factory harness, or note how they're connected and tell me. It's so super easy I don't understand how people can mess it up, black to black, yellow to yellow, red to red, and same for speaker wires, white to white, green to green, purple to purple and grey to grey. Nothing to it. I personally don't ever use the orange wire or the blue w/white stripe and the solid blue is used only when hooking up an amp.

What deck are you using? Are you using a factory harness, if so, which one?

First thing I'd do is set the aftermarket deck aside and disconnect it's harness from the harness in the car, if you're using one. If you are using a factory harness, leave it plugged into the car. What you need to do is check for power on the yellow and black wires, that's your constant power wire (yellow) and black is obviously the ground. If you have power there, then check power at the red and black wires, but for this one you'd have to turn the key to the acc position to power up the red wire.

If both of those check out fine then you should reconnect the decks harness to the factory harness and do the same checks you just did, but this time you have to do so in the plug of the decks harness. This is to make sure there's no problem with the harness that goes to the deck. If everything checks out there then the problem is with your deck itself.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Well i checked the fuses they are all good and i checked the orange constant that i had it hooked up to and nothing is it possible to get power someplace else so that i may get some music it really sucks since i travel A ton and there are no audio people around where i live except best buy

Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM

I have asked alot of questions and made alot of suggestions in my attempt to help you out but since only 2 of my questions have been answered and no response in regards to the logical troubleshooting I outlined for you it is clear to me (as it was from the first response you made to me) that I can no longer be of assistance to you. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dandog1718
Well i checked the fuses they are all good and i checked the orange constant that i had it hooked up to and nothing is it possible to get power someplace else so that i may get some music it really sucks since i travel A ton and there are no audio people around where i live except best buy
i'll at least try to help you, what wiring harness are you using? There's no power coming from the power that the wiring harness says to connect to the headunit power? if that's the case there has to be a blown fuse not allowing power to get to that wire.

Is your remote wire connected to the right source?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DBS MC
I have asked alot of questions and made alot of suggestions in my attempt to help you out but since only 2 of my questions have been answered and no response in regards to the logical troubleshooting I outlined for you it is clear to me (as it was from the first response you made to me) that I can no longer be of assistance to you. Good luck!

Seriously DBS MC. You have a lot of great info and knowledge to offer people. But please lose the attitude. Moderator Matt and a few other members have already told you about this. Please take our advice. We would all appreciate it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: car audio nightmare HELP!