Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

capacitor/battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005
Default capacitor/battery

my lights flicker when i have my bass up(all the time) and it doesnt bother me but i was thining could it hurt my altinator? and if it does would a new optima battery be enough to help or should i just get a cap? and what should i look for when im getting one

Old 05-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Default RE: capacitor/battery

te new opt. bat is defently a great step in teh right direction. they are great i hav eon in mine lv et and would never go back. Mine was at one time turned up side down and monted in teh trunk in the old car, thought about dong it in this one to LOL

also the cap would be agood thing if you play your tunes up all the time and want to stop that from teh flicker, It is from teh system sucking the powere away from other thngs that need it. As afar as it harming your alt. yes it could after time .

Old 05-27-2005, 11:11 PM

mickey you hit the nail right on the head. the drainage of power is causeing you alt to work overtime to keep the amp and system pushing at full force as well as the other accesories that you have in yoru car. so the opina battery would really be better and that plus a cap wouldnt really hurt either

Old 05-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Another thing you might want to take into consideration is upgrading your factory grounds in the engine bay. I did this on my Accord and it didn't eliminate the problem, but it did help. It only costed me roughly $30 or so and my time. My suggestion would be to start w/the least costly things first and work your way up. That way if you solve the problem along the way, you have spent the least amount of money needed.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:30 AM

i know a few folks tha thave soime nice systems inthier cars and also alot of Neon and LED.s in thier cars and they have this same issue.

the optimum bat. alone is a great upgrade.

but the cap would help you out in more ways then the flickering of your lights they also help your sound as the power is there when you need it. so it dont have to fight to get it.

we used to upgrade the alt right off to at least a 100 amp. that was the first thing we would do for a install that had anythign more then a stock replacement or might let it go up to somthign like 1 or 2 12" subs anythign more then that was a new alt.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

i know a few folks tha thave soime nice systems inthier cars and also alot of Neon and LED.s in thier cars and they have this same issue.

the optimum bat. alone is a great upgrade.

but the cap would help you out in more ways then the flickering of your lights they also help your sound as the power is there when you need it. so it dont have to fight to get it.

we used to upgrade the alt right off to at least a 100 amp. that was the first thing we would do for a install that had anythign more then a stock replacement or might let it go up to somthign like 1 or 2 12" subs anythign more then that was a new alt.
wouldn't an upgraded alt take care of it on one shot? Given it's powerful enough to meet the needs of the system?

Old 05-28-2005, 07:09 AM

to a point yes. but do you wan tto change it everytime you change something in your system?

the cap stores energy needed to allow the system to work right while also takeing a smaller amount from the car. so there fore it will have less effect ont he system tha tyou will notice do to it not takeing so much all at once

Most of the time if you watch your head lights they will flash to the beat that is becuse the speackers are drawing the poer to reload not becasue they are drawing it to make it work for that beat.

they have to reload or preload to go to the next beat. A CAP Dose this alread and the spaekers draw from tha tinstead of the bat. so they dont have to wait or draw as hard.

before caps were out and popular your battery in your car acted as one but when the system got to a certin point it was a heavy draw and would cause other things to starve and cause them to go out early

this is also why you see some pepole running more then one bat. it is not because it is cool all of the time but to make up for the current draw they have from thier system
what ever that might be a winch will dim the lights to becuse it draws so much but a Cap wont help it because ther eis no pules in the draw it is a constaint draw.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

to a point yes. but do you wan tto change it everytime you change something in your system?

the cap stores energy needed to allow the system to work right while also takeing a smaller amount from the car. so there fore it will have less effect ont he system tha tyou will notice do to it not takeing so much all at once

Most of the time if you watch your head lights they will flash to the beat that is becuse the speackers are drawing the poer to reload not becasue they are drawing it to make it work for that beat.

they have to reload or preload to go to the next beat. A CAP Dose this alread and the spaekers draw from tha tinstead of the bat. so they dont have to wait or draw as hard.

before caps were out and popular your battery in your car acted as one but when the system got to a certin point it was a heavy draw and would cause other things to starve and cause them to go out early

this is also why you see some pepole running more then one bat. it is not because it is cool all of the time but to make up for the current draw they have from thier system
what ever that might be a winch will dim the lights to becuse it draws so much but a Cap wont help it because ther eis no pules in the draw it is a constaint draw.
"but do you want to change it everytime you change someting in your system" is a bit of an exaggeration. If you're currently pulling 85amps, you don't upgrade to a 90amp alt and call it a day. You get something like 125amps or so, which gives you plenty of room for growth. I know how a cap works. I disagree on the secondary battery though, it alone will not do anything for "disco lights" as the system is pulling power from the alt, not the battery. Unless you totally isolate the stereo system from the charging system of the car by giving it one of it's own, the disco lights will remain.

Old 05-28-2005, 01:06 PM

o4 monte you are correcr. just having another battery only gives you more 12volt positive power and another ground source it really doesnt work for drawing power cause all the power is drawn from the alt. a larger alt would do the trick as well but it would be alot cheaper just to get a cap. because the cap stores the needed power to provide the subs and amp when needed there is no need for teh extra battery.

Old 05-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

ok so the best bet is a cap now what should i look for in a cap

Quick Reply: capacitor/battery