Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

The BEST way to install seatcovers (Pic included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Lightbulb The BEST way to install seatcovers (Pic included)

I just bought myself a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 hooptie for $500.00. It, being a hooptie at the moment, of course had seats that were quite shredded. In fact, the drivers seat was completely missing the vinyl for the entire *** area in a rather massive rectangle. Precisely how the previous owner's *** was that abrasive I have no idea, but it looked horrible.

The obvious solution to seats with hosed upholstery is to throw some seatcovers on them. However, if you're anything like me, then that baggy and wrinkled look that is nearly unavoidable with seatcovers (regardless of how carefully you attach all of the tie-downs and straps) drives you just as crazy as it does me. In my opinion, most covers look barely better than if you had just laid a towel down over the offending area.

All is no lost though - have hope comrades! I've found the perfect way to get those seatcovers to look nearly as good as if you had actually had the seats reupholstered.

The solution is quite simple, actually. The first step is obviously to find some covers that you like and that match the interior color scheme. After this you just pick up some 3M Trim Adhesive Spray (I found both a rather large, and a more reasonable smaller can of the stuff at my local Walmart in the automotive section.

Once you have both of the required items you then wipe down the surface of the seat liberally so that it's as clean as you can get it. My Monte has the dark grey pleather seats, so I just used good old-fashioned Windex to clean with.

Following this then slide the cover down over the seat without attaching any of the straps. Tuck the cover at its crease down into where the bottom of the seat intersects the back and make sure everything is as lined up as you can get it. Then you lift up the bottom (***-end) of the cover, spray the 3M adhesive liberally onto the seat surface and then smooth the cover down over the surface of the seat, starting from the middle-back and working your way outward so that all of the contours get glued down. Repeat the process for the back of the seat. Once that's done then attach the tie-downs, let it dry for a while, and you're done!

Here's a pic of my results:

Best. Looking. Seatcover. Installation. EVER!

I've never tried this on a cloth seat, but I'm willing to bet that it works just as well.

Opinions?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM

mmm that looks good. how much were those covers? ive wanted some covers for mine, mines not an ss so no leather, just cloth. so that would make me feel cooler :P oh lol nvm just read that you glued those. def don't wanna ruin the stock seats i have mine are in great shape. i just wanted to protect them from my *** :P

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I have seat covers over my stock seats to protect them as well. The cloth is in perfect condition and being a body man I tend to bring some of my work home with me in the form of dirt, dust and metal shavings. I found some fake leather seat covers that fit pretty decent. I tied them down as good as I could. The first couple months they were a bit baggy but they actually lay down really nice now. The only thing that looks bad is the headrest. It is just too baggy to fit nice.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Looks good!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 AM

Yeah, I don't know that I'd glue them down unless your seats are as absolutely shredded as mine were. My seat upholstery is THRASHED!

All in all, I couldn't be happier with my results.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you have pleather seats instead of cloth then I'd probably use the 3M Trim Adhesive method even if the seats weren't in horrific condition. The stuff is quite sticky (as I'd hope it would be, it being glue and all.. ), but you can remove it fairly easily if that's what you wanted to do later. Cloth, however, I definitely wouldn't use the adhesive on unless they were in pretty bad shape.

As for the covers, I bought them at Autozone.

Oh - I'm having an issue with getting my car's stock tape deck to play my MP3 player cassette adapter. I've outlined the problem in my post here. Any help with that issue would be great!