Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Cassette Adapter (for MP3 player) auto-reverses, then ejects (Stock AC Delco Radio)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Question Cassette Adapter (for MP3 player) auto-reverses, then ejects (Stock AC Delco Radio)

Howdy peeps, first time posting ( as should be obvious by my post count ), and I'm a first time Monte owner. The car is a bit of a hooptie, but I've been steadily working on it; and not only do I have the engine purring like a kitten, (it ran like total *** when I bought it) but I've got the interior looking quite a bit better. The next step will be to sand down the primer-grey exterior and attempt to rattle can myself a half-decent paint job. That said, all in all not a bad purchase for only $500.00 I'd say!

Hell, perhaps I'll even post pics of Count CARloses' slow transformation..

ANYWAY..

I use my Blackberry to listen to audiobooks, music, and whatnot. Obviously headphones work fine, but for whatever reason I cannot get any tape adapter to work with my 1995 Monte Z34's deck. I first attempted to use the adapter that I had previously used with my '94 Toyota Tacoma's deck (Phillips brand) with no success. After reading some posts on here as well as other forums I even went so far as to tear this one apart, adjusted and then removed springs, tensioners, etc. No luck. After that I purchased a more expensive Magnavox adapter and have had the same results with this adapter as well; although I've yet to try dicking with this one's internals just yet.

I've tried two different cassette adapters in the player, but they both just attempt to play for a bit, then reverse the play direction for a moment, and then the tape ejects. Both adapters allow me to move the cord to put the adapter in the other direction, but this has no effect.

I've heard that the Delco players in the 90's models are the 'auto sensing' type or whatever and that this is the feature that's causing the problem. Apparently if the tension isn't set juuuuuust right in the adapter then the player thinks that either the tape has snapped or that it's at its end and so it reverses the play direction. For the second or so that the player attempts each direction I hear audio from my Blackberry just fine.

I've heard that there is a way to disable the auto sensing feature by either holding down the AUX or Eject button for three seconds or something, but nothing that I've tried works.

Is there a way to make the adapter work with a 1995 model player? Is there a way to disable the auto-reverse mode? I'm game to try absolutely anything that will make either one of my adapters work with this head unit.

Here is a photo of the player that's in my car:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Any ideas?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 AM

Nobody's run into this issue before?

Damn.. I was hoping to avoid having to purchase a newer deck with the AUX input. My goal with this car is to see just how nice I can make it while spending as little money as possible over the original $500.00 I purchased it for.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used an adapter made by Sony in the 1995 Firebird with a similar head unit. Never a problem with it.

True that having it eject at random is a sign of the headunit falsely sensing that the tape is at the end.

Tried any FM transmitters? The same 'bird has an aftermarket 6 CD changer that injects the FM signal in-line with the antenna cable, it sounds real good.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM

I've used a variety of adapters to play my iPod through the tape deck with no issues. Unfortunately it's likely the tape deck in your receiver is shot.

One thought - try running a tape cleaner through the deck. I honestly don't think this will solve anything, but it's fairly cheap and can't hurt to try.

Another similar approach - with the power off, spray some electrical contact cleaner in through the tape deck door. Let it dry for a few minutes before turning power on again. It's an alcohol-based cleaner and dries very quickly. Again, if the problem is mechanical, this may not help. Unless it happens to clean up a sticking mechanical issue...

Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's always eBay. Here's one at .99 plus $15 shippimg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260711638324