Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Best box for bang

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Default Best box for bang

I have a Kenwood Mono amp with 2 12' kenwoods subs. What would be the best sounding box? Ive hear alot with sealed, ported, and even bandpass but hell if i know the difference. Also anyone know any sites to buy boxes from for a decent price? thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Default RE: Best box for bang

The quesiton you have to ask yourself.......what do you like, nice clear bass or "**** I AM DEAF" bass?

Sealed box for nice clear bass:

Ported for going deaf and for the SPL comps.

Bandpass boxes are to big there double the space then a ported box.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Default RE: Best box for bang

ok... sealed... what sealed enclosures do it literally seal the subs from the rest of the trunk, what this does, is when the cone of the speaker rises, the air in the box will control the movement of the woofer cone. Since the cone moving up is creating more space, the air moves to correct the pressure change by bringing the cone back, so it is better for a tighter bass note. Frequency response is flat with right box volume.

Sealed allows air to move in and out of the box with the movement of the cone in the woofer. The port must be built and tuned for your subs so there is no distortion, and the frequency response to be flat.

Bandpass are a pain in the A*S. They are VERY large, and must be perfectly built and tuned for your sub to get the use out of it. They really are very large when build correctly, and I dont think this option should even be considered unless you are looking fora specific application.

I would go with a sealed if those subs have enough power going to them.

if they arent loud enough for your taste, go with ported, which will increase your bass output, but reduce cone control and frequency response will be curved.