Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> 4 Bang'in 2013 Honda Accord Sport 0-60 in 6 sec +

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile > 4 Bang'in 2013 Honda Accord Sport 0-60 in 6 sec +

Hi Everyone,
I received a email from one of my senior citizen friends that advised me that he's getting a new Honda Accord `Sport & provided the below link about `it...

My 1st car was a Honda Del Sol Si VTEC that I put a turbo & other mod's on & had a blast with it (+ got in2 a lot of trouble also)

I thought a few member's might enjoy reading the article.
I was impressed with the times from Honda's new direct injection 4 banger with a six speed standard trans in this article .

They also make them in a coupe...I'm not running out & getting one, but I sure like what Honda has done with their
update...What do you think ? Please post your comments..
Can you beat one with your Monte ? LOL

Specifications>

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $24,180 (base price: $22,470)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 144 cu in, 2354 cc
Power: 189 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 182 lb-ft @ 3900 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 109.3 in
Length: 191.4 in
Width: 72.8 in Height: 57.7 in
Curb weight: 3272 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 28.1 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.0 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 10.9 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 10.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.3 sec @ 93 mph < I could get lower times 4-Sure (LOL)
Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 180 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 24/34 mpg

2013 Honda Accord Sedan 2.4L Manual

The sweet lightness of being the Honda Accord.

</HGROUP></HEADER>
For decades, the Honda Accord seemed to be the automotive embodiment of Nietzsche’s concept of eternal recurrence. Every few years a new version would appear, win awards (including multiple appearances on our own 10Best Cars list), rank near or at the top of the sales charts, and take its familiar place in the fabric of American society. In this way, the Accord generally fulfilled the theory that the universe and its events have already occurred and will recur ad infinitum.
But around the time the eighth-generation model arrived for 2008, the cosmos apparently skipped a beat, and the Honda began to buckle slightly under the burden of success. Although the Civic took the lion’s share of the criticism, we noted a few small cracks in Honda’s mid-sizer in a family-sedan comparison test from earlier this year. The four-cylinder engine and five-speed automatic transmission still operated with Honda’s trademark smoothness, but the former sounded coarse under full boot, while the latter was one cog short of the segment-standard six-pack. At various times we also have noted the outgoing Accord’s undignified exterior styling and its overly busy cockpit erratically littered with buttons. That’s not to say the car wasn’t great—the previous model was a perennial 10Bester, after all—only that it was being reeled in by the competition, notably the winner of that comparo, the Volkswagen Passat.
Restoring the Natural Order of the Automotive Universe

We’re happy to say that the 2013 Accord tested here—a manual-transmission, four-cylinder Sport model, which differs from other trims mostly through aesthetics—not only benefits from a lightened load metaphorically, but also physically. The car’s steering, braking, and shifting are all light to the touch yet operate with surgical precision. Even the slightest operator inputs produce tangible results. The electrically assisted rack-and-pinion steering is slack-free throughout its full 2.5-turn lock-to-lock travel, yet never twitchy or overeager. The clutch is equally as light, pedal pressure remaining consistent throughout its travel—its operation is intuitive from the very first press. And shifting the new six-speed manual (a CVT is optional) recalls the familiar Honda manual-transmission exactitude that awed so many drivers way back when the brand was still making its bones in this country. Braking is also a paragon of temperate behavior. How deep you go into the pedal is directly correlated to clamping power, and it hides no secrets along its relatively short length of travel.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
And as well as the components perform independently, they work even better in unison. Wearing 18-inch wheels shod with 235/45-18 rubber, this Accord managed a respectable 0.87 g on a 300-foot skidpad, but it was while cutting delicate arcs through the wooded environs of our 10Best test loop when the chassis and powertrain really began to communicate with us on a first-name basis. As we’ve previously noted, the Accord has swapped its front control arms for struts (Honda says they are lighter and deliver lower levels of NVH); the Accord Sport and all higher trims receive a front strut-tower brace. Our scales pegged the Accord’s weight at 3272 pounds with a front-heavy 59.6/40.4-percent weight distribution. Despite this, turn-in is crisp and neutral, the chassis eagerly following the directions given by the front wheels. Only under hard acceleration over broken pavement did we experience any directional drama, most of it in the form of front wheelspin and hop; the rear end stayed firmly planted on all but loose gravel.
Power in the Accord Sport comes from a 189-hp version of Honda’s new, direct-injected 2.4-liter four-cylinder. (The LX, EX, and EX-L have just 185 horses; to get six cylinders, step up to the EX-L V-6 or Touring, please.) All 181 lb-ft of torque—20 more than the previous-gen EX’s four-cylinder engine—appear by 3900 rpm, which makes it possible to inject some thrills into the daily commute without winding each gear to the 6800-rpm redline. Of course if you wish to play, the powertrain is ready and willing, as evidenced by our notes from the test track: “Plenty of low-end torque, so you’ll want to launch around 2500 rpm and spin the tires to redline. Very easy to approach the rev limiter and then shift at just the right time.” The 6.6-second scoot to 60 is mighty impressive—it’s 1.3 seconds quicker than the last-gen four-cylinder/manual model—and the car covered the quarter in 15.3. Those in the mood to save fuel rather than time can select Eco Assist mode via an Econ button to the left of the steering wheel; it alters the operating characteristics of the climate control and remaps throttle response in the name of efficiency. Continued...

<NAV class=mod>PHOTOS (29)
<HEADER style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; POSITION: relative; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px auto; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; WIDTH: 990px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline; FONT: 11px/13px Georgia, serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">

Last edited by Space; 10-19-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Below are the Spec's on the V-6 Honda Accord FYI
Specifications>

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $34,220 (base price: $30,860)

ENGINE TYPE: SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 212 cu in, 3471 cc
Power: 278 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque: 252 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 109.13 in
Length: 191.4 in
Width: 72.8 in Height: 57.7 in
Curb weight: 3552 lb
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.2 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 125 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 21/34 mpg

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

They look like a nice car but they done a dumb thing imo the lesser models with cloth seats have cloth over the console lid & that usually nvr lasts

Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
They look like a nice car but they done a dumb thing imo the lesser models with cloth seats have cloth over the console lid & that usually nvr lasts
Unfortunately car companies aren't doing things for the long-haul, just keep the car nice for the length of a lease and get a new one in their eyes.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Unfortunately car companies aren't doing things for the long-haul, just keep the car nice for the length of a lease and get a new one in their eyes.

Thanks guys for your posts/comments. I was more impressed with the performance of their 4banger with a six speed shifter + the mechanical changes without a turbo...I'd add a turbo lol
I think it has a decent price compared to others in this market...I look forward to seeing my friends new one when it comes in & I know that he will let me test drive it...I shall report Oh, he's getting stick..
He now has a Lexus, but he drove one b-4 he ordered his new Honda...& fell in love with it...He's a old gear-head...& is in his late 70's..., but still likes some power in his machines & likes to shift gears...

With this redesigned Accord, Honda wisely streamlined the dash, making the controls both more intuitive and fewer in number. The upholstery in our car was among the nicest material choices we’ve recently seen, replacing Honda’s old mouse-fur material with something resembling high-quality broadcloth. The surfaces and overall fit and finish are good enough to give you that subtle feeling of satisfaction each time you climb in the car, and nicely address complaints about the dated and less-than-luxe cabin of the eighth-gen model. Rear-seat legroom is up by more than an inch to 38.5 inches; we didn’t measure it ourselves, but a pair of adults can spend the better part of a Sunday back there without needing to call the chiropractor the following day.

Last edited by Space; 10-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM

My parents are Honda people today. I couldn't be any more opposite, but from the pictures here I like the looks of this '13 compared to other recent models from them. Parents own an '11 SE (I-4).

I'd have confidence taking on the 4cyl obviously, but the V6 would most likely out-perform me. Then again, it does have ten more years of technological advancement than my Monte. I'd hope they could engineer a V6 to out-perform one from ten years ago

Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi `Andy, I think it would be a fun race against a 3.8L Monte Carlo...I love Monte's, but also like the Honda power.

The V6 Honda are a great engine, but a V6 Accord Coupe or Sedan are over $30K + + +
Some get in the 13's in the 1/4 mile & 0-60 MPH in the low fives...I'm happy that Honda is still mak'in coupes + with a 6 speed standard transmission

I really would like to see GM make one for us 4-Sure...p.s. that we could afford...I sure can't afford a Caddy (LOL)
Thanks for your post/comments

Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Has any member driven the new Accord ? If so, post your review/thoughts
I like the Accord Coupe with the V6 & six speed. (I wish they were RWD or AWD). One of our senior friend puchased one & he loves it & even did a burn out when we seen him (I also like the honda element for a beach ride)

Space had one for a short time, but sold it & made a big profit

Does anyone like Honda's on this forum ? > i'do f
O-O > did i just swear ? (lol)

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 06-06-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceRider
Has any member driven the new Accord ? If so, post your review/thoughts
I like the Accord Coupe with the V6 & six speed. (I wish they were RWD or AWD). One of our senior friend puchased one & he loves it & even did a burn out when we seen him (I also like the honda element for a beach ride)

Space had one for a short time, but sold it & made a big profit

Does anyone like Honda's on this forum ? > i'do f
O-O > did i just swear ? (lol)

Has any member driven the new Accords or Honda's...
Do you like them ? Let us know...? Can you do over a 100MPH in a 1/4 ?
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 21.2 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-22-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I haven't driven an accord but they do look nice. When I was buying a car two years ago, I looked at an accord and it wasn't bad but you can tell what I chose instead.

Quick Reply: > 4 Bang'in 2013 Honda Accord Sport 0-60 in 6 sec +