Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

base caps are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default base caps are they worth it?

i was talking to a guy here he sujested for the set up i have right now is adding in some base caps? they are suposed to make the stock 6x9's act as a mid base and take out the lows from them so i get all of the lows from my subs. this sound right? dose it even sound like somethign to even worrie about ?

Next month or two i plan to change all of the speackers out oif the car anyway and change them over to infinities and componets up front. So would this be a smart i dea to do it then or do it now?
Will it hurt me when i go to install the other speackers in to the car? as far as the way they are goign to sound?

Man the old days was hook the wires up and run with it LOL
Now you have to have a degree to hook stuff up in your car just to get some good sound out of it.
Anyway let me know your thoughts
Thanks

Old 08-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Default RE: base caps are they worth it?

ORIGINAL: mickey

i was talking to a guy here he sujested for the set up i have right now is adding in some base caps? they are suposed to make the stock 6x9's act as a mid base and take out the lows from them so i get all of the lows from my subs. this sound right? dose it even sound like somethign to even worrie about ?

Next month or two i plan to change all of the speackers out oif the car anyway and change them over to infinities and componets up front. So would this be a smart i dea to do it then or do it now?
Will it hurt me when i go to install the other speackers in to the car? as far as the way they are goign to sound?

Man the old days was hook the wires up and run with it LOL
Now you have to have a degree to hook stuff up in your car just to get some good sound out of it.
Anyway let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Are you gonna be running the mids/highs off the stock amp? If so, then you should install the bass caps. I'd wait to put them on until you get the subs hooked up cause the system will sound ****ty w/no bass coming from the rear. What this does is allow you to turn up the volume louder before distortion becomes an issue. Now if you plan on running an aftermarket amp on the mids/highs, then you won't need the bass caps cause the amp will surely have a built in crossover so you can dial in the sound you want from the mids/highs. Hope that helps.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

yep!!
Thanks the old amp i had had the dials on it to change what went where. so i understand that .

I actually thought about useing the stock amp on the mids and higs for right now so that i would not blow them out or something. this way i could hook up the subs so i had some sound for the time being.

Basicly what i have right now is
subs in the box (2 10" crunch)
stock head unit
stock amp
stock speakers

All of this is soon to change but till then it is one at a time or all at once if the sponser pulls threw on me

Old 08-02-2005, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

yep!!
Thanks the old amp i had had the dials on it to change what went where. so i understand that .

I actually thought about useing the stock amp on the mids and higs for right now so that i would not blow them out or something. this way i could hook up the subs so i had some sound for the time being.

Basicly what i have right now is
subs in the box (2 10" crunch)
stock head unit
stock amp
stock speakers

All of this is soon to change but till then it is one at a time or all at once if the sponser pulls threw on me
Don't run the subs off the stock amp, it doesn't have enough power to run all of those speakers but will try very hard to do so and eventually you'll fry it. I personally like how the mids/highs sound with the stock amp, I can only imagine it getting even better once you upgrade the speakers. I have heard alot of people doing this and are very happy with the results.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

i plan to run the subs off thier own amp just have to find and buy one that i like for them.
the kid i got them from had a kicker amp 1000watt.

i just dont like kicker amps i havd bad luck with them so i will have to find some thing close to them as far as the power etc... havent reall started to shop for it yet.

but yeah i heard a monte he had replaced all the stock stuff with infintie speakers and i was sold on it. i wasent goign to look for subs ethier till i found the deal i did on theses,

other wise i was goign to leave welkl enough alone other then a better head unit.
I have the premier (pioneer) head unit so it has the better EQ in it and more power and would also allow me to finally get a radio station over here.