Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Info: audio system upgrade

Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Default audio system upgrade

how hard is it to change the stock system for aftermarket? is it just like a regular car? run new wires amp and subs?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 AM

bump.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 PM

yes and no it depends on the options you have and want to keep, if you have on star the audio goes through the factory amp. The factory amp controls a ton of options like oil change milage, door unlocks, light flash upon lock, low tire, and lots more. So make sure everything is set before you remove it, the settings will stay once the amp is removed. You will need a special wiring connector for the stereo plus another one if you want to keep your steering wheel controls. If you have a good wiring diagram and are good with electrical bits you could do it in about 4 hours. I did a pioneer axic 5000 dvd nav unit with fosgate 5 chanel amp in the stock location. The fact that all the wires are in the same area made it easier to do. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:01 AM

I have some experience with audio but not with anything that has factory amps and newer electronics, could I just leave the stock amp to power everything that's already there and use an aftermarket amp to power everything I plan on putting in? 2-3 subs,a few tweeters and a new touch screen cd player? and just run all of it together off two separate amps?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 PM

A lot of people used to do that they would mount the stock radio in the trunk with the factory amp so they could still retain control, they even make a factory type cable to do it. It is a harder install by at least double cause now you are doing two installs. Plus one becomes a virgin install, you have to run ALL NEW WIRES, you can't use the factory wires unless you tap into them. You would also need to mount the stock radio and amp in the trunk, space becomes tight. If you go that way remember you only wire your aftermarket stereo to the speakers. You can tap into them at the factory amp location to save time, there are 4 wires going to the front speakers if you have the good factory setup so put your crossover in the trunk. audio system upgrade-20150516_115041.jpg

Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 PM

What stereo does your Monte have stock, do you have the amp, sat, on star?

Old 05-16-2015, 03:30 PM

yea its all stock right now, it has onstar on the rearview mirror

I plan to do a lot of fiberglass work and install rx8 seats in the front and back with a center console running between them, and a sub in it, custom A pillars with tweeters, two 6x8's in the front center console close to the carpet,upgraded door speakers and maybe 1 or 2 subs in the trunk with a touch screen radio

im about to start on the redesign of the front center console and when I get the seats from the rx8 in design the console for the back