Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Anyone redone their headliner in a diff material?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by my00monte
Can you just take it off and wrap it separately? I think Enzo did it to his Monte. Maybe ask him what he did?
yea i know i can take it apart lol :p
its fairly easy, but i dont want to mess up around that plastic piece where its slotted, i dont think its removable, and i dont want to break it trying to remove it.

Originally Posted by lougreen03
yup thats the one i remember lou!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
yea i know i can take it apart lol :p
its fairly easy, but i dont want to mess up around that plastic piece where its slotted, i dont think its removable, and i dont want to break it trying to remove it.

yup thats the one i remember lou!

It is removable, so as long as you don't punch it from the bottom to get it through the sunroof, it should be fine lol. (at least the 7th gen one is removable so I'm assuming it is also?) One of the ways to remove the slider is to open the sunroof completely, and pull it up from the top. You might have to flex it a little bit, but it should come out of there semi-easily

Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by abro22
It is removable, so as long as you don't punch it from the bottom to get it through the sunroof, it should be fine lol. (at least the 7th gen one is removable so I'm assuming it is also?) One of the ways to remove the slider is to open the sunroof completely, and pull it up from the top. You might have to flex it a little bit, but it should come out of there semi-easily
im talking about the slotted/vented piece on the actual slider, not the entire thing lol

Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ok getting the slider out is tricky. On each corner there is a plastic slider that comes out and they like to break. But then pull it through the top.

Taking out the vent piece wasnt too easy and mine is still a bit loose, I had to glue it in.

Other than that it isnt too hard. Just heat it up around where the sun visors connect, because the suede cant easily contour to the indent.

Watch out putting it back in, if you bend it you can break the glue bond and get a sag. I have a tiny bit but nothing noticable.

Sunvisors suck, you actually cant take them apart to get a new piece put in. I had to make a cover for mine and I sewed it by hand. That sucks and I suggest you get those done by a pro Seriously being a 19 yr old boy trying to sew covers isnt the easiest haha, so dont judge them.

The rest is all easy like taking it out and covering it. I peeled off the stock fabric and glued it onto the foam, but if I redo it I might go straight to the board so theres less worry for sag. Dont get the glue too wet or it WILL SOAK THROUGH.

Makes a huge difference!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Ok getting the slider out is tricky. On each corner there is a plastic slider that comes out and they like to break. But then pull it through the top.

Taking out the vent piece wasnt too easy and mine is still a bit loose, I had to glue it in.

Other than that it isnt too hard. Just heat it up around where the sun visors connect, because the suede cant easily contour to the indent.

Watch out putting it back in, if you bend it you can break the glue bond and get a sag. I have a tiny bit but nothing noticable.

Sunvisors suck, you actually cant take them apart to get a new piece put in. I had to make a cover for mine and I sewed it by hand. That sucks and I suggest you get those done by a pro Seriously being a 19 yr old boy trying to sew covers isnt the easiest haha, so dont judge them.

The rest is all easy like taking it out and covering it. I peeled off the stock fabric and glued it onto the foam, but if I redo it I might go straight to the board so theres less worry for sag. Dont get the glue too wet or it WILL SOAK THROUGH.

Makes a huge difference!

that does look nice enzo
i wish these cars were all black inside from factory tho
im still thinking about it, because i just realized i have to paint all the plastic pieces on the visors, slider and oh **** handles etc....
i dont mind that at all but im worried that in the long run theyre goin to start peeling and looking like crap

Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

My Gf messes with the oh **** handle all the time and I havent had it fade or anything. Up there nothing is going to fade or crack, trust me.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Enzo354
My Gf messes with the oh **** handle all the time and I havent had it fade or anything. Up there nothing is going to fade or crack, trust me.
haha alright im convinced! :p
im goin through with it
dont know when but soon

how much and where did u buy yours?
and is there a big difference between the synthetic suede and the real thing?
what about alcantara? i loved the feel of it on the Lightning seats

Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

well i got me some other sun visors from an 04 GP, same fitment and shape as the monte ones
i think im goin to upholster them myself, these will be much easier since they dont have the little slider/extender thing on them like my monte ones :p
and plus if i mess up i'll still have my stock ones

they were in NEW condition but my dirty hands changed that! lol

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Sweet, keep us updated. I got mine from hobby lobby. Its VERY awkward. Its mainly women and me and my friend came in there in dirty work clothes XD.

I think I got 3 yards and it was $40 but I got it all for $20. Go to their site and get the half off coupon lol.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Let me offer a few tips on this. First let me say I am not a professional upholsterer but I have done a little. Cut your material so it will fit both sides of the visor with a little extra on the three remaining sides. Sew your material inside out on two of the edges leaving one end open. Then turn it right side out and slide it over the visor and sew the end shut. I hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply: Anyone redone their headliner in a diff material?