Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Anyone care to school me real quick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Anyone care to school me real quick?

I'm looking into getting this head unit for the Monte but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure about what else I need.

On Crutchfield they have a few things listed in the installation kit...

Dash kit - Is it just mounting hardware? Do head units not come with their own hardware?

Single pole-double throw (SPDT) relay - Says it has something to do with the lock/unlock, I'm assuming it has something to do with the key fob? Probably required right?

Antenna Adapter - I understand this one...

The big one, the GM OnStar data bus harness deal - I couldn't care less about keeping OnStar or the factory XM. Now I'm assuming this has to do with more than just keeping OnStar? Is it also the steering wheel controls? Looking on Crutchfield it's gotten pretty lousy reviews, is there a better harness out there that y'all have experience with?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Harness is more than onstar it keeps all ur warnings & such its needed, youll need a separate one for the wheel controls & you will need a dash install kit radios dont come with em cuz every car is different & idk about the relay

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Dash Kit - you'll need it. Some cars will work without it, the stock radios have mounting screws on the sides just like the Pioneer. My Honda CRV needed no kit. Montes do.

The integration kit retains OnStar speaking through the stereo along with chimes for key in ignition, lights on, low fuel, trunk open and any other times the DIC flashes a warning. All the beeps play through the stereo speakers. Leave the integration kit out and you loose the chimes.

What puzzles me it the relay. I plugged in my car and do not see the relay in the recommended items. Might be part of the lockout circuit that prevents you from watching movies when the parking brake is off, or a rear view camera that kicks in when in reverse.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Alright, thanks guys! I'm hoping to get this right after Christmas and I'll put up the install if I do.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 PM

i might be of some help here as i just put my head unit in last week. i ordered a kenwood KDC-248u head unit. it came with the dash install kit, which included antenna adapter, and the tray needed to mount it to the stock mounting locations. then i bought the GMO4 interface. was a little difficult to hook up, as the interface had RCA cables to power the speakers, and the wiring harness for the unit had separate wires. I had to splice into them based on color to get the proper sound. everything worked, but i did not get the steering wheel controls because space is extremely limited in the dash of a monte. but other than that it was a simple wiring process just match wire colors and read directions. i had mine installed in a half hour.

Just remember if you plan on hooking up subwoofers or an amp, run your RCA cables to the back and have them fed up through the dash into the back of the unit. that way they are already there. Same with the remote wire.

If you have any questions pm me and ill be glad to help.

PS crutchfield stands behind their sales 100% and if you order offline you can search for dicount coupons to use at the time of checkout most will save you 20$