Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Anybody running their mids/highs off their stock deck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Default Anybody running their mids/highs off their stock deck?

While there is no rush for me to add subs to my stock system, once I do I was thinking about running my mids/highs off the stock amp, adding only a bass amp for the subs. Is anyone doing this?

I won't be running stock speakers for the mids/highs, I have Polk Audio EXII 6x9's and will be getting some 5 1/4" components once I move my current audio equipment.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:36 AM
Default RE: Anybody running their mids/highs off their stock deck?

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

While there is no rush for me to add subs to my stock system, once I do I was thinking about running my mids/highs off the stock amp, adding only a bass amp for the subs. Is anyone doing this?

I won't be running stock speakers for the mids/highs, I have Polk Audio EXII 6x9's and will be getting some 5 1/4" components once I move my current audio equipment.

OOHH!! I love this kind of stuff, first off, there is no running anything off the stock deck, if you get subs, your going to need a new deck, because stock decks dont have pre-outs, they just have hat ghetto a*s wiring harness for the stock speakers, so since your already getting a new deck, might as well be a good one, something with like MOSFET 50x4 or 75x4 amp, that is plenty to run the mids and tweets, i replaced all my stock mids with Infitys, and I have a pioneer deck with MOSFET 50x4, it works perfectly. I have 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L7s in the trunk running off a Memphis Audio 1200 Mono. Sounds great. I guess my point is, if you are going to get subs, ditch that Delco piece of junk and get something good. they have adapters, to run subs off a stock deck, but you lose like, 25% of your power through those damn things. Bad juju.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: SoCalSS

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

OOHH!! I love this kind of stuff, first off, there is no running anything off the stock deck, if you get subs, your going to need a new deck, because stock decks dont have pre-outs, they just have hat ghetto a*s wiring harness for the stock speakers, so since your already getting a new deck, might as well be a good one, something with like MOSFET 50x4 or 75x4 amp, that is plenty to run the mids and tweets, i replaced all my stock mids with Infitys, and I have a pioneer deck with MOSFET 50x4, it works perfectly. I have 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L7s in the trunk running off a Memphis Audio 1200 Mono. Sounds great. I guess my point is, if you are going to get subs, ditch that Delco piece of junk and get something good. they have adapters, to run subs off a stock deck, but you lose like, 25% of your power through those damn things. Bad juju.
I'm no rookie to audio, don't get it twisted. I've been hooking up systems for 15 years so I know what's up. I'm not getting a new head unit for a couple reasons, #1, I want an inconspicuous system, and #2, the install kits are fugly and the existing amp is sufficiently powerful.

I disagree w/hi to low converters reducing the power output of the amp though. The only thing you lose by using the converter is signal strength, but signal strength only effects sound quality not wattage output. Now if I were adding an amp for the mids/highs and running them off the stock head unit, then it might be an issue, as far as sq is concerned, but being that it's just subs it's really a non-issue. The only way you lose power output of the amp is by low vehicle voltage or the alternator not being able to handle the amperage draw.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Don't get me wrong, I wasnt trying to right you or anything, i was just giving my input, but as for your originall question. I have had no problem running my aftermarket mids and tweets with the deck's amp. They sound great and although my headlights dim everytime my subs hit, a cap would easliy correct that.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 AM

Don't get me wrong, I wasnt trying to right you or anything, i was just giving my input, but as for your originall question. I have had no problem running my aftermarket mids and tweets with the deck's amp. They sound great and although my headlights dim everytime my subs hit, a cap would easliy correct that.
I thought you knew something I didn't so I had to hit you with what I knew and see where it went from there.

Aw man, don't use a cap to correct your disco lights, upgrade your alternator!

Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 AM

Yeah i know, i really shouldnt use a cap, but its just so much simpler and cheaper than an alternator. and it still solves the problem just the same. It's not so bad that its drawing to much power from anything else, or for anything to still work properly, they just dim a little bit. my amp is 1200 watts, so you think i would be ok with a 1 ferat cap or do you think i would need to go for 2?

Old 06-13-2005, 03:28 AM

Yeah i know, i really shouldnt use a cap, but its just so much simpler and cheaper than an alternator. and it still solves the problem just the same. It's not so bad that its drawing to much power from anything else, or for anything to still work properly, they just dim a little bit. my amp is 1200 watts, so you think i would be ok with a 1 ferat cap or do you think i would need to go for 2?
I think you should upgrade your alternator

But you insist, a 1 farad cap should be fine, you want to go with 1/2 a farad for every 500 watts. That being said, a 1.5 farad cap might be the better choice.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:34 AM

See, i knew the rule for 1 farad per 1000 watts, but i didnt know if they made a 1.5 farad, so i was thinking next best thing was 2. you learn something new every day right.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:39 AM

See, i knew the rule for 1 farad per 1000 watts, but i didnt know if they made a 1.5 farad, so i was thinking next best thing was 2. you learn something new every day right.
that's right!

Old 06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005

well im running my speakers off my stock deck and the quality is fine but my subs over pwer my speakers so im going to have to get a new deck with a amp for the speakers soon i woulnt recomind running speakers off deck and subs that hit that hard unless your planning on getting an amp for the speakers or a new deck

Quick Reply: Anybody running their mids/highs off their stock deck?