Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Any Solutions For Rattling Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Default Any Solutions For Rattling Dash?

Alright so the previous owner of my 04 Monte must have done something to the dash because the area with the vent for the windshield defroster is not flush with the rest of that dash, and the part of the top dash that connects to the plastic by the vents (right above the radio). How much of the plastic can actually be replaced. I can go get some pics at some point to show exactly what I am talking about, but if anyone has any experience dealing with the dashboard in these cars tips would be great.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

these issues can be a pain, however most all of those components snap in to one another, either the clip broke off or maybe the Windshield was replaced a one time and during that repair somehow it was damaged. If you can find a Salvage yard (U-pull-it) that has a Monte that you can inspect that is probably the best resource for learning how to fix and repair.
Take a pic or more while you are there.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
these issues can be a pain, however most all of those components snap in to one another, either the clip broke off or maybe the Windshield was replaced a one time and during that repair somehow it was damaged. If you can find a Salvage yard (U-pull-it) that has a Monte that you can inspect that is probably the best resource for learning how to fix and repair.
Take a pic or more while you are there.
Next time I head out to work I'll snap a couple of pics. I was hoping that I could just replace most of it because other than that the car itself is damn near perfect only 59,900 miles

Old 12-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Here are those pictures as promised

Any Solutions For Rattling Dash?-img_0327.jpg

Any Solutions For Rattling Dash?-img_0328.jpg

Hopefully you guys can sort of see what I am talking about here. So with these any more suggestions?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Look for an Auto-Body SUPPLY Shop.

Suppliers have DISPLAY Boards with all the various Clips and Fasteners to replace those that have become useless after repeated dismantling of assemblies meant to be installed quickly on-the-line.

Dash, Door Panels and Interior Trim fasteners lose resiliency, ... sometimes after the first time they are pulled-out.

Bring warn-out and broken clips and such to a SUPPLIER!
You can get New ones Ala-carte' - or - by boxes of 6, 12, 20 and more.

Some SPEED FASTENERS are UNIVERSAL. Used by multiple manufactures, on many models over several years.

I get these babies and use a new one any time one gets ugly being pulled.
You're better off buying a Box of 25 for less than 5-Bucks, ... than going to some place that buys 'em buy the 25-per-Box for $4.95 and sell them out of a drawer or bin for 3-bucks each!

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Pus...pas1860-25.htm

Old 12-21-2016, 05:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some great advise from RickOMatic - especially the part about bringing the fasteners you need to the parts store. I work in a parts store and we have over 800 different body fasteners, but catalog vitually none of them. And as many different fasteners as 800 sounds like, odds are still pretty good that we wouldn't have the ones you need. We often can't supply the right fasteners. But our Monte's are textbook GM, so your chances are good.

But looking at your pictures, I'd say that dash is screwed. It was probably removed and stored improperly (not laid flat, maybe leaned again something or something stored on top of it) and allowed to warp. I don't think the right fasteners will fix that. You'll still need new fasteners, but for a "new used" dash from a wreckers

Old 12-25-2016, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cownuv
Here are those pictures as promised

Attachment 18609

Attachment 18610

Hopefully you guys can sort of see what I am talking about here. So with these any more suggestions?
There are discussions about these issues in other threads. The consensus seems to be to get another dash pad from a boneyard. I still cannot get anyone to tell me how to get a tool into the space between the windshield and the pad to remove the old one (all anyone says is, "I don't have a problem"--apparently I have the largest socket wrench and hands on the planet [cough cough]), so I'll be attempting to epoxy and clamp mine this week. I'll let you know the results.

The only real solution, of course, is to find a car with no dash padding, e.g. my '93 Camaro. Why car makers find it necessary to put dash pads in cars with airbags, I will never understand.