Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Head unit install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM

thats strange, the unit should mentain all chimes, there are 3 dif that i know of there could be others, the one i have has its own speaker *i prefer it this way* the others intergrate it back into your driver side speaker, but than it dulls the music momentarily to do so.

your getting confused over nothing from what im seeing, there are rca's that'l be on this harness, there for if you have the premium system, if you dont you snip them and wire themn to the outputs from the harness for the new deck, whitch isn't completly needed (i never do it) but it's a good idea if you might plan on removing the amp, leaving the stock wires gives you this chance.

the rca's can be ran down the center console, thats where i ran mine. you can find my build log on one of these pages. good luck, enjoy. i mounted my amps on the rear seats, most people do. doesnt matter. running wires is a breeze, corner panels snap right off. just be wise about what to remove sometimes you can just slide them under the corner of the panel with out removing it.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Thx, guys. After some more research I found this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...B+-+GM06+.html

Which should work better than my original adapter. Just have to find a spot in the back for the factory radio.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by swberry
Thx, guys. After some more research I found this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...B+-+GM06+.html

Which should work better than my original adapter. Just have to find a spot in the back for the factory radio.
Sounds like an easy question/scenario huh? It is, but it's not, let me explain.

Since you have an aftermarket deck AND are going to install an aftermarket amp YOU DON'T NEED TO CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE RCA'S COMING OFF THE ADAPTER. Why? Because you're going to run a 4ch amp for your interior speakers you would just run the rca's from the deck to the amp and then speaker wire from the amp to the speakers you want to run off it.

The only time you'd need to connect rca's or high level inputs (aka speaker wire) to the wires coming off the adapter is if you planned on running the interior speakers off the decks power.

Something else to keep in mind is that your factory speakers are 2ohm models and your amp is a 4ch that does rated power @ 4ohms, meaning if you run it 2ohm stereo it'll put out about 100 watts rms to each speaker. Do you think your factory speakers are gonna handle that? They might for a little while but I think you should put aftermarket speakers high on your list of things to get.

Having installed my system both ways, with the adapter w/o factory deck, and with the factory deck via relocation harness, I have concluded that the relocation harness is the better idea! When I first installed my system I used a Scosche GM SR09 adapter and I ended up with all kinds of dummy lights going off, malfunctioning abs, it was all bad. It costed me about $500 to fix the problems that resulted from removing my factory deck and using that adapter. Since then I reinstalled my system but this time I relocated my factory deck using a relocation harness from BestKits, I put the deck in my glove box to avoid having to run that thick wire all the way back to the trunk and to prevent having to fabricate some type of mount for it. Those problems have not resurfaced since the reinstall *knock on wood* so I think you'd be better off doing the relocation.

Last edited by 04MonteLS; 09-24-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Oh yeah! I didn't think about putting it in the glove box. I'm glad to hear that. I was originally gonna use an adapter as well but then found the relocation kit.

Oh, and to clarify, I am replacing my factory speakers. I'm putting in a whole new system. Pioneer D-series components and 6x9's. Gonna take a little fab work to mount the tweeters in the bracket but shouldn't too much to handle.

Btw, I appreciate all the advice you guys have given its been a life-saver.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by swberry
Oh yeah! I didn't think about putting it in the glove box. I'm glad to hear that. I was originally gonna use an adapter as well but then found the relocation kit.

Oh, and to clarify, I am replacing my factory speakers. I'm putting in a whole new system. Pioneer D-series components and 6x9's. Gonna take a little fab work to mount the tweeters in the bracket but shouldn't too much to handle.

Btw, I appreciate all the advice you guys have given its been a life-saver.
You're gonna have to "unlatch" the top part of the glove box to get it to fit in and even then it's gonna be tight as a glove, but it'll go in with a little caressing and convincing. Good, glad you're replacing the speakers. Getting the tweets mounted isn't too bad, I guess it just depends on the size of them.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:27 AM

so in order to add a new aftermarker HU i need to keep the factory one.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by dmayesing
so in order to add a new aftermarker HU i need to keep the factory one.
No, you don't HAVE to. There are quite a few people on the board who don't have the factory deck in their car anymore and have no problems, but that wasn't my experience so it's MY OPINION that it's best to simply relocate the deck.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i dont have my stock deck anymore and dont have any problems because you can use different ways to shut off warnings. the only thing you could really ever need it for is if you need to get a new remote entry, then youll need the headunit to put the code in. other than that i havent needed it for anything

Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=swberry;264336]Yeah. It has 3 RCA outputs. My issue isn't with the amp but with this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS...r.html?tp=3486.

I have a Alpine IDA X-303 in my car and i dont have that adapter. I was told to buy one but its like 80$ at autozone so i went to walmart and bought the wire harness for a 98-08 GM CF-WHGM3 (still have the box for some reason) my doors dont chime or anything but it only costs like 10$ so its worth the sacrifice for me and i have no warning lights. i dont lose my presets after i shut my car off.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 AM

If you dont have ONSTAR that 30-40 dollar harness at Wal Mart works.

Quick Reply: 6th Head unit install question