Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Head unit install question

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Default 6th Head unit install question

Hey guys. I'm planning to install a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit in my '04 Monte Carlo SS. It currently has only the factory system. I've been looking at some of the integration adapters that everyone says you need. My problem is that my head unit only has 3 RCA Pre-Outs. Along with horrible reviews, the integration adapters all require 2 leaving only one for the front and rear deck. I'm also replacing the front and rear deck speakers along with installing an after market Amp.

Is there any way for me to by pass this adapter or maybe leave it out all together?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Do you mean 3 sets of RCA out puts. (3 RCA pairs)...Front.. Rear.. Sub

The RCA outputs plug directly into the aftermarket amp, so the factory one isnt used..

Hope this explains what your saying??

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Yeah. It has 3 RCA outputs. My issue isn't with the amp but with this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS...r.html?tp=3486.

This is apparently an adapter that is required for any aftermarket HU. The problem is that it require 2 RCA outputs and the head unit i'm looking at only has 3 which only leave me with 1 to try and split between my front and rear deck. So, I'm trying to find a way to do the install without buying one of these adapters.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM

GOT SPL

Ok.. I looked up the head unit you have.

This harness will work. The Head Unit has 3 sets of outputs. Front Rear and Subwoofer.

If you are not using a Subwoofer which I assume your not. Then take the 2 sets of RCAs that on the harness and plug them into the 2 sets on the HU being the FRONT and REAR slots. If you decide to upgrade to a subwoofer you will need an aftermarket amp for that and you can run a set of RCAs from that new amp to the other set of RCA outputs on the HU being the SUB pair

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 AM

GOT SPL

BUT if you are going to run an aftermarket amplifier there is no need to use those sets of RCAs on the harness you can buy a set of cables to run directly from the Head Unit to the new AMP

Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM

I do plan on installing an aftermarket amp, a Pioneer GM-D9500F to be exact, along with new front and rear speakers. So, I can just leave out the adapter altogether and sacrifice my chimes?

Last edited by swberry; 09-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM

GOT SPL

Ive herd there is a way. But you still need to use the adapter for other things in the car. It will also be much easier to use the adapter as you wont have to cut the stock wires.

So attach and use the harness as you would any other harness adapter but dont connect the RCA on this harness and use RCA cables that run directly to your aftermarket amp. By doing it this way yes you will loose your chimes. I dont have chimes in mine because thats how its hooked up in mine. But honestly I like it without the chimes anyway I think there very annoying and now can have the door open and not listen to that annoying dinging

Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you install the harness with the stock speakers, it will use the 2 sets of RCA's, leaving the one set open for the sub amp output, if you want to use aftermarket amps, you will have to remove the 2 rcas from the harness and plug in the new rcas for the amps.

when i did this, the chimes went away, the gas light still comes on but doesnt make that annoying noise, when my door is open though, that still beeps.

hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM

GOT SPL

Originally Posted by trewyn15

when i did this, the chimes went away, the gas light still comes on but doesnt make that annoying noise, when my door is open though, that still beeps.

hope this helps.
Im surprised it still beeps when door is open.. Mine makes none of that noise

Old 09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Im surprised it still beeps when door is open.. Mine makes none of that noise
i thought it did, i havent been in my car for a while, i will check saturday when i go home, i could be completely wrong, wouldnt be the first time lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Head unit install question