General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Stock 7th gen radio in 6th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Default Stock 7th gen radio in 6th gen?

Just curious if anyone has tried putting in the new style radio from a 7th gen into a 6th gen?

It's got an Aux which is a big plus, and if it could still control the various settings that the radio in our cars is supposed to control that would be great too.

Any info on this?

:Edit: Oops, this should have gone in the audio forum, if a mod wants to move it that would be cool:

Last edited by Super Sport 04; 10-09-2012 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Better title
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not done that, but I have done things GM has not documented (such as my Monte and wife's Impala are running was factory MP3 radios from Cavalier/Venture Vans and work 100% as my factory unit, my '02 Grand Am has a factory radio that did not exist/not an option when it rolled off the assembly line, again so I can play MP3s on CD).

The first radio swap had a little trial and error. Some people claim ways to "make them" work by disconnecting a pin internally to the radio, but I did not like that.

What I learned about these 2000-2005 radio from GM is:
- GM has at least a "truck" line and "car" line of radios. What I mean is they might look the same, have the same connectors, but the pin-outs are completely different and the most important pin outs are for the data bus.
- Get the wiring diagrams for the connector of your factory radio to the on you want to install. MAKE SURE the pin outs are the same!
- Take a gamble. Get the new radio, pop it in. You get to use it once when you first plug it in (supplying power) before it goes into TheftLock mode (so you can't even start the car, but you can play it in accessory mode). This assumes the 06/07 radio works like the earlier units.
- Take the gamble #2. YOU MUST have it programmed with a GM Tech II scan tool. There is NO way around it on these earlier models. Some dealer staff will be edgy because the GM claims it's NOT a compatible radio. Just get someone to humor you, be polite. I am lucky I know a guy with access to one and does not mind helping out.

Keep in mind, on the 6th gen Montes, the "easy to use" interface for the oil life, fob settings, tire monitor are routed through the radio (there are non-radio ways to work with them, just that's the easiest). That's gamble #3, will the '06+ radio support those features.

Good luck and if you give it a try, post your results!