Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

60/40 Seat Covers professional installation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 PM
1 Year Member
Default 60/40 Seat Covers professional installation?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying black and red seat covers from CoverKing for my 2000 Monte Carlo SS. The interior is currently rather bland, and I'm hoping to hide some small seat cushions under the covers so the seats won't be so hard. They are unusually hard for some reason.

On the product options tab, it says that the 60/40 rear seat covers "require professional installation". (Picture attached.) CoverKing advertises that their covers can be easily installed by the average person. My question is, is there something about the rear seats of the Monte Carlo that prevents me from putting covers on, or do you think "professional installation" is a typo? Does anyone have experience with covering the rear seats? I just bought this car 2 days ago, and I am not very familiar with the rear seats. I'd rather be safe than sorry if I buy these covers.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Sure I have installed the seat covers before I think they were the brand you indicated.
The rear seat is kind of a pain, In my case it was functional but it looked a little out of place most of the time.
I eventually found a U-pull it salvage yard and liberated the seats from several Monte's over the course of a few years and put in a leather interior. Normally those rear seats in a Monte are really nice and you can replace them with no issues. 2000 to 2005 will fit your car.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for your reply!

I actually already have the leather seats. They are very hard but that probably has more to do with what's under the leather. I don't think I would replace the seats, because I doubt I would be able to find any with the leather in better condition than mine are. They're in great shape for an 18 year old car.

If I ever find a salvage Monte I'll take a look though.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by CaptainDawson
Thanks for your reply!

I actually already have the leather seats. They are very hard but that probably has more to do with what's under the leather. I don't think I would replace the seats, because I doubt I would be able to find any with the leather in better condition than mine are. They're in great shape for an 18 year old car.

If I ever find a salvage Monte I'll take a look though.

Here is a little tip for the Leather seats, now I thought this was BS when my friend suggested this but I tried it and it works.

I told him I had replaced my cloth ones with leather.

He told me than an old upholsterer fellow told him to get the seats soft and supple again to use (Baby Oil) on them.
Like Johnsons Baby oil, So before I tried it inside the Car I had another back seat from a Monte that was good but a bit hard.

I used the Baby oil on it first and Wow, was I impressed with that. Works great. I didn't saturate it but put it on a cloth and wiped it on and came back a couple of days later and it was a new seat for sure.
It will be a little glossy as you apply it but returns back to the showroom look later on.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Here is a little tip for the Leather seats, now I thought this was BS when my friend suggested this but I tried it and it works.

I told him I had replaced my cloth ones with leather.

He told me than an old upholsterer fellow told him to get the seats soft and supple again to use (Baby Oil) on them.
Like Johnsons Baby oil, So before I tried it inside the Car I had another back seat from a Monte that was good but a bit hard.

I used the Baby oil on it first and Wow, was I impressed with that. Works great. I didn't saturate it but put it on a cloth and wiped it on and came back a couple of days later and it was a new seat for sure.
It will be a little glossy as you apply it but returns back to the showroom look later on.
Well, that's interesting. I might give that a try!
Thanks