Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

5th Gen 99 Deck Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Default 5th Gen 99 Deck Q

Looking at the radio on my 99 (tape player no cd player, idk if they came with a cd on the z34) Its bigger than the single din my Mark VIII uses. Is this a double din unit? I was looking on crutchfield and they were showing a bunch of single din players that 'fit' my car. Whats up with this, what are some decks you guys are running in the sub $150 range with success. I will want to add a sub later on, also I really like the sound of the stock unit, but wouldn't mind a little more kick in bass, is the stock wiring decent? The Mark used like 22 gauge wire and it was horrible and brittle. So yeah pretty much I'm looking for some help and searching on this forum is horrible because there are so many years of Montes....the Mark VIII forum im on only covers 5 years haha

Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Default RE: 5th Gen 99 Deck Q

Stock radio is not a double din in the 5th gens (only in the 6th gens and later). The 5th gen radio size is sometimes refered to as "1.5 din". The reason they list all those single din decks is because that is 99.9% of what will fit your car (there are only a couple of decks that directly fit and they're old).

You obviously need a dash kit, like most vehicles do- to adapt the opening down to single din. Its no biggie though, the metra kit for these cars doesn't look bad as long as you don't use the 99-4544 universal one.

The wiring is just fine- the aftermarket decks don't put out that much more power anyways.

As for a deck, I've been out of audio sales for too long to give you any decent suggestions.