Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

4 channel amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
1 Year Member
Default 4 channel amplifier question

I was wondering what would be the best solution, i have type r 6.5's and 6x9's and the factory amp just isnt cutting it, i replaced my headunit and am using the metra gmos-04. i also have a rockford prime r1000-1d mono amp wired to 2 10" type r subs. i want to add a 4 channel amp but i am not sure how to without completely rewiring the car which i currently do not have time or patience to spare. any help would be awesome!!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM

perhaps this will do it for ya. this only works with alpine amps though...technicly you could cut the harness off and hard wire them, but i dont know how well that works, ive never used this so idk if it'll work like that.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-KTP-445.html

the problem with the speakers you added is their 4 ohm, the stock speakers are 2 ohms, you cut your output in half when you switched.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
1 Year Member

the problem with the speakers you added is their 4 ohm, the stock speakers are 2 ohms, you cut your output in half when you switched.
thats odd, when i removed my old ones 4 ohm was stamped on the magnet

Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

If you add in a second amp. For power wire you can add a distrobution block to wire up the second amp. If your HU has more RCA out puts use those to run to the back if not you should be able to use the Pass Thru RCAs on the amp(if it has one). Ground it to a new location and wire up the rest of the amp as normal. Do you know what 4 chann amp your looking at getting..

Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
If you add in a second amp. For power wire you can add a distrobution block to wire up the second amp. If your HU has more RCA out puts use those to run to the back if not you should be able to use the Pass Thru RCAs on the amp(if it has one). Ground it to a new location and wire up the rest of the amp as normal. Do you know what 4 chann amp your looking at getting..
i got a couple questions, first for power, currently i have 4 gauge power/ground in my car. if i add this amp (link below) wouldn't i have to upgrade to a larger main power/ground wire that goes into the distribution block? my HU is a sony mex-bt3800u and currently 4 rca's are used for the gmos which i would like to keep installed, second my sub amp (link below) does have a set of pass thru rca's but could i just connect the rca out on the sub amp to one of the rca in on the 4-channel amp and all 4 speakers would get sound?

i am still browsing for 4-channel amps but i had something like this in mind: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...lon-X600F.html

this is my sub amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-R1000-1D.html

also, im not looking to do anything right now, i dont have much money and its cold outside but i want to do some research and price watching until i do get some money.