Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

1984 Monte Racing Seat Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 1984 Monte Racing Seat Installation

On the 84 I have now replaced the stock front bench seat with a JEGS high back racing bucket on the drivers side and a bucket seat on passenger side. I will be installing an RJS V-type 5 point racing harness for use at the track and keeping the factory 3 point restraint system intact for street driving. Back seat is also no longer intact as I am reducing as much weight as I can. Eventually I will have an 8 point Jegster roll cage but for right now, I believe I am looking at harness bar installation so I have place to attach my harness besides the floor. I have read all about having the cage fully intact before using a racing harness and have decided this is the way I will be doing it for now. In these pictures I do not have the black cover on the racing bucket yet and I do not have the harness installed yet.
Removed stock front bench

Installed sliders to bottom of racing bucket

Installed JEGS high back racing bucket on drivers side.

Front with both seats installed and new steering wheel

Last edited by P343; 01-14-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Love it, looks like a Mad Max set up. Your Monte is going through quite the track car transformation process. Your doing it right, get the belts anchored at a height about mid-back height and that's going to be so secure using the harness bar. Nice decision making process. Guess you put off the whole roll cage assembly till the track tech's ban you from using the track till you get one installed. Is that an 11 sec. car when you need one.

Actually looking pretty good, a labor of love. Keep this thread going, be wonderful to how you develop your 84 into a menace at the track and heaven forbid the street...

You do have the ability to weld inside the car now that your removing the interior so that hurdle is cleared. Nice 84, lets hear it roar.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Love it, looks like a Mad Max set up. Your Monte is going through quite the track car transformation process. Your doing it right, get the belts anchored at a height about mid-back height and that's going to be so secure using the harness bar. Nice decision making process. Guess you put off the whole roll cage assembly till the track tech's ban you from using the track till you get one installed. Is that an 11 sec. car when you need one. Heck, right now, I am not even fast enough (according to NHRA) to require helmet use!! LOL But I wear one anyway each time I go down the track.

Actually looking pretty good, a labor of love. Keep this thread going, be wonderful to how you develop your 84 into a menace at the track and heaven forbid the street...

You do have the ability to weld inside the car now that your removing the interior so that hurdle is cleared. Nice 84, lets hear it roar.

I have a friend coming over Saturday to help me do some measuring (with me in the seat) to make sure my harness bar will be at the proper height once installed. Then I can work on getting the design put to paper so I can get to fabricating. I WILL have the full cage in WELL before it is an 11 second car!!! LOL So no worries about being banned from the track at this moment.
It is becoming a force to be reckoned with at the track but just another "Sunday driver" on the street. No playing around there. I DO NOT want my life, license, OR toys taken away from me!!
One of my projects before the season starts is to install exhaust cut outs and glass packs. I WILL do a before and after video so you can hear her roar!! Once I start trailering her to the track and don't have to worry about the local authorities and their "noise ordinance", she will be open headers 100% of the time. I have run open headers at the track a few times and WOW she sounds AWESOME!!!! But she is 100% street legal and I must keep the noise down when on the street.

Last edited by P343; 01-14-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Making progress!!

Got the racing seat cover and harness in (attached to seat bolt for the moment). Harness bar will be completed and installed this week!!
Still have to keep the factory belts as it is still street legal.

Attached Thumbnails 1984 Monte Racing Seat Installation-racingseatharness.jpg