Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

05 Monte Audio Volume Fading in/out, Radio station reception sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Default 05 Monte Audio Volume Fading in/out, Radio station reception sucks

I have an 05 Monte Carlo and just last night while playing a CD the volume started going up and down and music cutting in and out all on its own and so i put a new cd in and same thing, turned on the radio and only one of my presets was coming in, (the reception has sucked in the car since i got it) but usually they all come in at least a little, but nothing, and when the one preset played the volume was also jumping all over. whats going on? i have a feeling it might be the stock amp, i push it hard listening to songs with a lot of bass at high volume... my change oil light just came on the same time too if that has anythng to do with it. ? but i am due for an oil change. thanks for any help

Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The oil light is probably coincidence. As for pushing the sound system too hard, if you are running ALL stock on the sound system (no changes), you can't push it too hard to cause an amp to blow.

Step #1 - Make sure you did not pop a fuse.

The radio reception problem might be due to a module for the rear defroster/radio. There is next to no documentation on this module, but I believe it's behind the back passenger side interior trim. It's probably a dealer only part (I was going to replace mine to fix a rear defroster issue, but I found my issue was the defroster circuit breaker went bad). This module has been connected to reception issues (usually when running the rear defroster, but not always). I think when I was looking it up, it was about $20-$30 for the part.

Now, as for the sound going up and down, that sounds like a possible issue with the amp (located in the back trunk between the rear speakers). If you know someone else with a Monte or Impala running a factory amp, you could try trading them and see if the problem follows the amp, if it follows the amp, I think most junk yards will sell you an amp cheap enough.

If it's not the amp, unless someone has more input, I suspect a radio problem.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The oil light is probably coincidence. As for pushing the sound system too hard, if you are running ALL stock on the sound system (no changes), you can't push it too hard to cause an amp to blow.

Step #1 - Make sure you did not pop a fuse.

The radio reception problem might be due to a module for the rear defroster/radio. There is next to no documentation on this module, but I believe it's behind the back passenger side interior trim. It's probably a dealer only part (I was going to replace mine to fix a rear defroster issue, but I found my issue was the defroster circuit breaker went bad). This module has been connected to reception issues (usually when running the rear defroster, but not always). I think when I was looking it up, it was about $20-$30 for the part.

Now, as for the sound going up and down, that sounds like a possible issue with the amp (located in the back trunk between the rear speakers). If you know someone else with a Monte or Impala running a factory amp, you could try trading them and see if the problem follows the amp, if it follows the amp, I think most junk yards will sell you an amp cheap enough.

If it's not the amp, unless someone has more input, I suspect a radio problem.
Today its working fine. it must just be the radio its self. i plan on installing an aftermarket one soon anyways, but the radio reception problem could still exist regardless and i really dont feel like taking off my entire back interior panel. im thinking leaving the radio on and running on ACC at this party the other night is what caused it to freak out on me, i guess i will see if it effs up again.

new pics of the ride.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM

10 Year Member

FYI - You pics (hosted on Facebook) are not showing up.
Try using something like photobucket.com.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Hi Member "BakedOutCarlo 420"

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family
Do you Smoke in your Baked Out Monte Carlo ?
Smok'in has been known to effect your electronics in your car & in your homes electronic equipment...So, keep your window or sun roof open when U Smoke

Smoking, by all means, effects
computers of all types, laptop, desktop, towers, and any other kind of
electronic equipment exposed to it, even in your vehicles. Whenever you smoke, so does your
computer. The "stickiness" of the tar that condenses out in your
computer also adds to other dirt problems as it acts as an adhesive
causing dust to cling more tightly to any surface, including your hard
drive. The 'acid' content of smoke may also eat away at circuit
boards and components and prevent your equipment from working correctly or not @ all Oh! No
~* p.s. No Smok'in on the MCF ~>
Peace/Happy `Out from `Space

Last edited by Space; 07-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM

i smoke mad weed in my monte bro. mad weed. i try to clean it atleast once a week because i know what you mean... that tar in that smoke cakes on your ****. but its weird that it still has not done it again...and that it only did it that once.. mind of its own.

Originally Posted by Space
Hi Member "BakedOutCarlo 420"

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family
Do you Smoke in your Baked Out Monte Carlo ?
Smok'in has been known to effect your electronics in your car & in your homes electronic equipment...So, keep your window or sun roof open when U Smoke

~* p.s. No Smok'in on the MCF ~>
Peace/Happy `Out from `Space

Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Moved photos to new thread. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ne...ictures-37637/
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
FYI - You pics (hosted on Facebook) are not showing up.
Try using something like photobucket.com.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Default Update

Im getting word the reception issues for the radio could be attributed to the tint on the rear window, it already had 35% when i bought the car, and i put 5% over that 35% ( i know, not supposed to do it that way but the man in charge who was doing it didnt have the time to remove the old ****)

could this be it? i mean it does not at all explain volume problems but that hasnt happened again, i think my speakers might explain that as i think they are blowing, earlier today they were popping for about 5 minutes then stopped now they do it for a split second every like, once every couple hours idk... not enough to go out and buy new speakers tomorrow or anything. but how could i fix the radio reception without removing the tint? is there a way to improve intenna or can i buy a replacement/ upgrade?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 AM

10 Year Member

I have never heard of tint affecting the in glass antenna. Radio signal to my knowledge does not work that way, but if you tinted your windows with steel or lead, then I'd see the issue. I refer back to that module I mentioned.

I've never heard of blown speakers causing volume to go up and down, but I have heard of them "popping" and "snapping".

Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 AM

Thanks again `Jason (Maniac) for helping our new member with information I did not know..(I keep learning from your shared knowledge) I also did not know what "Mad Weed" was & had to look it `up I'm way behind in what's happening out there on the streets of the USA WoW..I have not indulged since my early experimental teens.., but I think I still have flash backs (LOL) or I use that as an excuse for all my crazy/weird threads & posts

A few member's have told me that they have to smoke something to understand many of my posts ~> lol
Peace/Out from `Space

Quick Reply: 05 Monte Audio Volume Fading in/out, Radio station reception sucks