Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

04 SS aftermarket installs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Default 04 SS aftermarket installs

Hello i got a 04 MC intimidator and I'm in the process of installing a double din aftermarket radio, well I got the harnesses and dash kit. I also got a relocator harness for the stock radio to be moved to the trunk so I can keep some of the functions that will lose with the new radio.

well How do you install the Relocator Harness?It did not come with any instructions.

also did anybody had to cut the back where the radio goes when they replaced there radio with an aftermarket one?

Thanks to All

Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK on my 01 Monte (did not have all of the sensors )I did not have to relocate the factory deck so I cant help you there but I did have to do some work with my air grinder at the back of the deck pocket to get my after market deck installed I think that there is allot of us that do the double din after market deck

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was so against having to relocate my stock radio to put in an aftermarket one. And for me, I was fine with the Monte's sound system, I just wanted the ability to play MP3s on CD. Fortunately, GM made a MP3 radio (offered on '04-'05 Cavvies and Venture Vans) that was a perfect replacement for my stock deck. I know, does not work for everyone.

Use caughtion if grinding, drilling or reshaping parts of the dash.... I really have no interest in doing that work to my dash for concern of other damage.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you for the input it cleared the grinding portion that had q's about. Like I said thanks.

For the relocating radio to the trunk, I want to do this because I still want to be able to reset when I get a tire presure, oil, and other features that the stock gives.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

You can reset the oil and tire pressure without the stock deck.. I still haven't found a real reason to need the stock deck. My cars been fine without it for over 2 years. Only time I needed it was to reprogram a new keyless entry, but that was just an easy unplug and re-plug wires in and done in 15 min tops. besides than ive never had a reason to need it.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Thank you Blaze SS, The_Maniac, and Jaws2008 for the inputs. Hope I could help out in the future. This is a forum. thanks to all.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Only time I needed it was to reprogram a new keyless entry, but that was just an easy unplug and re-plug wires in and done in 15 min tops. besides than ive never had a reason to need it.
You bring forth a "neat" idea. For those completely ditching the factory deck for aftermarket, if you have the "relocation" wiring harness kit, you could always tuck the factory deck in your garage and coil the relocation connector somewhere easy to grab, plug in the stock deck for what you need to do and then unplug it and put it back in the garage.
But you are right, there is a non-radio way to do most (if not all) these functions. The radio is just a LOT easier.

For me, I new if I went away from a stock deck, I'd have a huge trickle down of now not liking the sound system, wanting a new amp, speakers, and just dumping more cash into something where it started as wanting one tiny feature. But this is me. I know other people who have bigger sound system aspirations then myself.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 04Monte78
Hello i got a 04 MC intimidator and I'm in the process of installing a double din aftermarket radio, well I got the harnesses and dash kit. I also got a relocator harness for the stock radio to be moved to the trunk so I can keep some of the functions that will lose with the new radio.

well How do you install the Relocator Harness?It did not come with any instructions.

also did anybody had to cut the back where the radio goes when they replaced there radio with an aftermarket one?

Thanks to All
Which harness did you get? Ive installed the bestkits relocation harness on the installs ive done, its pretty much plug n play. All it does is plug in to the factory harness and then u hook up the deck to the wires coming off it. Nothing to it. Yes, you will have to modify the back of the dash opening to get the deck to fit, its a piece of cake though.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:17 PM

I am looking into going for an aftermarket deck as well. I am curious, do all 05 montes have the "premium" sound system?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 AM

Jaws2008 - the idea that you provided, to wire up the relocating harness and storing the stock in the garage is great. Thats going to make my install easier, because i dont have to make a special mount for it. Thanks Again. The only problem is figuring out hoe to wire up the harness and bringing power to the trunk.

DBS MC - the harness that I got is GWH-22. Do I still need to buy the GMOS-01 or GMOS-04? The reason why I'm asking this is beacuse with the GWH-22 comes with the chime capability, but not sure if it also does the Onstar which i dont use and care about. Thanks.

novagenesis300 - about the premium sound system dont know. mine didn't come with one and its the 04 Dale Earnheart special edition. It has a dumb little amp.

Quick Reply: 04 SS aftermarket installs