Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Zzp plog

Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Zzp plog

This is about the cosmetic condition of my PLOG rather than any mechanical or functional issue, so if I have placed this thread in the incorrect section, please move it so it is not taking up space where it shouldn't be. Thank you!

So, I purchased and installed a PLOG from ZZPerformance last summer and I love it, especially with the 2.5'' DP and 2.5'' stainless exhaust I had done. However, now, after being on the car since June, it looks like absolute crap. The finish is all marred and dull in spots, and there is even some surface rust beginning to show on it. I have a feeling it may have something to do with the fact that I handled it with my bare hands with my body oils getting on it and then going through heat cycles may have caused some of these imperfections in the finish.

Does anyone know of a way to re-polish stainless steel that is in a condition like this, or should I just pony up and buy another one and install it with gloves this time?

Old 01-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Unfortunately the heat of the exhaust is probably what is causing the majority of your problem, or a flaw from the factory in the stainless steel. Prior to installing you can always coat the inside of the plog with a high heat paint that will help reduce the temperatures and make it last longer before the heat damages the stainless, a header paint that hot rodders use to spray the headers on their cars works good. I used to use something similar on my harleys to prevent them from bluing but unfortunately after time it still would turn blue. The rust you are speaking of makes me think maybe there is something wrong with the stainless itself

Old 01-11-2015, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine came with a polished stainless look (was like looking at chrome), it's now all kinds of discolored. If the dis-coloration is a problem, then you may want to have the outside coated in a high temp paint or high temp ceramic coating.
I tend to leave it, it's down low, most people don't pay attention to it.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is so typical with these manifolds, the heat is tremendous and eventually they will discolor. The rusti you mention is not right though, is it occurring at the welds? My ZZP plogs ended up cracking quite seriously at about every collector weld and eventually failed sending small filaments into my turbochargers exhaust side and damaging it.

You should inspect the plog welds and have them re-welded if they are indeed cracking as they will just get worse and you will have a decent exhaust leak going before you know it.

You could then get them ceramic coated, as the will look better even when the heat changes them than non-coated plogs. My plogs were ceramic coated and looked better than the heat effected non-coated ones I have seen.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
3 Year Member

mines look like crap as well, i wish there was a way i could polish this i havent looked under my car since it got cold so i can only imagine what my downpipe looks like

Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Ok so this is going to make me sound stupid..oh well gotta know...is a PLOG some sort of header?

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343 View Post
Ok so this is going to make me sound stupid..oh well gotta know...is a PLOG some sort of header?
almost a header but not quite, its basically an exhaust manifold by zzp performance that is better than the stock by having slightly bigger pipes

Old 01-11-2015, 07:49 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

ok. thanks!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member

Here's the info on the PLOG:
ZZPerformance - Stainless Power Log #ZZ-PLOG

And ZZP teased around Black Friday that they are working on a rear PLOG for us non-turbo guys.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:48 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

cool. I understand now. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Zzp plog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.