Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

ZZP Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I am getting it installed today. we see how it goes. if the engine light comes on i just plan on haveing the code removed.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can't wait to hear about the difference. Are you going to be getting your car tuned soon?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by biggriggs
AwesomeSS -

Note that anything on ZZP's (or any W-body vendors) site that mentions anything different for 04+ only applies to the Grand Prix.

Pontiac updated the Grand Prix engines for 2004 (they are the Series III L32 engines for the supercharged), but the Monte Carlos and Impalas that are supercharged for 2004 and 2005 got the leftover series II supercharged engines (L67's).

Therefore, whenever you are buying upgrades for your drivetrain, note that the vendors apply the years to the Grand Prix only. Anything you need for your Monte Carlo will be the same as what is listed for the '97-'03 Grand Prix.

That said, what you are looking for in order to keep everything emissions legal is a 3" bolt-on downpipe with catalytic converter and o2 sensor bung.
All of the downpipes with catalytic converters have the rear o2 bung welded in. ( I attached the description from the zzp site on the bottom of this post)
You then have the option between mild steel or stainless steel.

You don't need an o2 extension harness, as the only o2 sensor on the downpipe is the rear sensor after the catalytic converter. The extension harness is mainly for people who upgrade to headers, as this will move the location of the front o2 sensor.

Note that since the catalytic converter on the aftermarket downpipes are high-flow converters, then your PCM is most likely going to set the check engine light with a P0420 code.
You will have the option to either have the code disabled in the PCM, or to use an o2 sensor emulator that will trick the PCM into thinking it is reading the same flow as the stock catalytic converter was putting out.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I just upgraded the exhaust system on my 2004 s/c SS two months ago, so I did a ton of research before hand.

-Riggs.
Thanks Riggs

I am not doing anything until August but I am just collecting info. I will have questions about how to disable the code in the PCM like where I can go to get this done or how to acquire an emulator and where to get that.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM

As far as the code -

Your PCM may not set that code at all. Happens to some people, not to others.
When I went from the stock manifolds to TOG headers with a highflow cat, it was setting every day at least.

ZZP sells the emulator.

To get the code deleted from the PCM, you have the choice of either getting an aftermarket "canned" PCM, or getting someone who has a copy of either DHP PowrTuner or HPTuners suite to use that software to disable the code in the PCM.

I highly recommend getting a custom tune from someone with the software.
It cost me $75 and about two hours of my time, and now my PCM is dialed in to exactly how my car is running. Just make sure that if you go that route that the person who does the tuning knows what they are doing with the GM 3800 engines. They tend to be a bit different to tune than the Japanese engines or most of the American V8's. This is why most people with 3800's stay away from "performance shops".

-Riggs.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 AM

GOT SPL

if i purchased this it should delete the code if it apears

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=182&catid=107

Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM

GOT SPL

Got my car back. no codes have arrived yet!

It sounds a little louder than stock, little more rumble. it has some amounts of backfire sounds when you rev it park.
Its more "Racey" of a car when you go around turns and uphills
Performance wise its great. definite increase in power and torque
It is well worth paying for

Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 PM

hehe will be getting mine SOON after reading this thread lol along with plogs should give a good gitty-up

Old 03-18-2009, 10:38 AM

GOT SPL

its been 2 days and no code has arrived yay. lets hope it stays that way

Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM

GOT SPL

the code appeared today i also filled up the gas tank for the first time. any recommendations on clearing the code.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Amy - the emulator will work for your 03 if you get the downpipe but it won't be emissions legal. The emulator won't work at all for your 05. Starting in 04 the Monte O2's started measuring the heat of the exhaust as well as the oxygen. The emulators only measure oxygen.

Quick Reply: ZZP Downpipe