Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What kind of exhuast is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Default What kind of exhuast is best?

What kind and size exhaust is best for 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile racing? I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS not supercharged. I have heard that a bigger exhaust will create more horses, but I want to make sure I don't lose to much torque and I'm just not sure which size would be best?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Default RE: What kind of exhuast is best?

MAGNAFLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:45 PM

What kind and size exhaust is best for 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile racing? I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS not supercharged.
stock... (I'm assuming you don't have any real engine mods done yet?)

Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

when looking at exhaust mods, don't look at what is the best performacne becasue the difference in these mufflers performacne is minimal best. what i mean is, the difference in magnaflow, dynomax, flowmaster, etc. in performance, will be minimal, but they all should be a little bit better than stock hp wise. they'll all give you about the same hp increase, which you really won't notice becasue it's that small. when looking at mufflers, look for the one that makes the best sound to your ears. dynomax and magnaflow i believe are both dyno tuned for your car, but they probably aren't 1-2 hp more than flowmaster or the others. i had dynomax, and it was so quiet and i was quite displeased. i have no mufflers (well, a glasspack in place of my resonator) , and my car can still break the tires free easy

Old 11-30-2008, 07:49 PM

does anyone make an x pipe for montes? because i was told the only ones that really make a diff is when the back pressure is equal and then there is scavenging

Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM

5 Year Member

there is no x-pipe. these cars, being FWD, ahve whats called a down pipe. you can buy different ones from zzperformance and 3800performance.com

Old 12-01-2008, 06:27 PM

so does the down pipe do the equalizing and the scavenging?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 PM

5 Year Member

it does the scaveging but it doesn't really equalize anything... it would take alot of work and making custom pipes to make what you're wanting

Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 PM

so does the down pipe do the equalizing and the scavenging?
Look at the pictures:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=110

The downpipe doesn't do anything except extend the outlet of the exhaust manifolds or headers down under the car so it can bolt to the rest of the exhaust. You can see in the pic on the right- there is a flange in the back- thats where the downpipe bolts up, and its just a single curved pipe.

Since we only have a single exhaust pipe going back to the rear of the car, all headers and the stock manifolds combine all the exhaust up in the engine bay. It is impossible to do anything like an X or H pipe without doing true dual exhaust- which is retarded on these cars- tons of extra piping and weight for minimal (if any) gains.

About the only 3800 I've seen with any real work put into figuring out the best plan for scavenging and such was in a rwd setup from Australia (iirc), he had custom made long tube headers with some of the primaries from one side crossing over to the exhaust tube for the other side and vice versa- it looked like a real mess.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: inssanity21

MAGNAFLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree 100%. After listening to a few different systems I put a MagnaFlow catback on my 07 Monte. The sound of the Magnaflow is far superior to all others I have listened to.

inssanity21.......I love your hood!!!! My 07 is black with the SS stripes so something like that is out of the question but it sure looks awesome!!

Quick Reply: What kind of exhuast is best?