Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Wanting new exhaust but not sure what to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
1 Year Member

Intresting... I'll look into that. Thanks a lot!
Nice Monte by the way. I like the grill cover!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 AM
1 Year Member
Default Confused...

Originally Posted by bizparr
If you're worried about cost, go for glasspacks. I'm sure people on here are starting to recognize that I endorse them a lot but they really do sound great(and they're cheap).

I have an 05 LS as well with a 24" glasspack in place of the resonator, and 2 more 12" tubes behind the y-split. Little to no drone, no rasp, nice deep rumbly idle.
I'm confused when you said you put a glasspack in place of the resonator. I looked up glasspacks online and they all said they were mufflers? Do you put a glasspack muffler in place of the resonator and put a normal muffler on in the back where it should be?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

straight piped on the 3400 is extremely droney at highway speeds...

I would advise just getting a small resonator at first, that'll make it a little deeper... Replacing the resonator with a glasspack is virtually replacing a resonator with a resonator, it has virtually the same insides, so you'd be spending money to accomplish virtually nothing.

I would advise starting with a resonator delete, then after that I would consider magnaflows, they're loud when you get on it, to an extent.. But they have a nice deep idle. Anything else that's louder will probably give you some annoying rasp and drone.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sdowney
I'm confused when you said you put a glasspack in place of the resonator. I looked up glasspacks online and they all said they were mufflers? Do you put a glasspack muffler in place of the resonator and put a normal muffler on in the back where it should be?
Glasspacks are mufflers, yes. Because they're still working to muffle the sound of your engine.

You can put anything anywhere you want. I changed my exhaust bit by bit. First I removed the stock resonator and replaced it with a Thrush "Turbo tube" glasspack (kept the stock muffler). It didn't really get any louder, but it did give it a bit of a growl at idle. Next I cut off my stock muffler, made it VERY loud, but with only a single glasspack there was way too much drone. Few months later I went back to put a few shop brand glasspacks on the back, and I couldn't be happier.

I'd say just find a reputable exhaust shop and go talk to them, they'll probably have a few different pipes to throw on so you can see how it'll sound. That way you find something that YOU like.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
straight piped on the 3400 is extremely droney at highway speeds...

I would advise just getting a small resonator at first, that'll make it a little deeper... Replacing the resonator with a glasspack is virtually replacing a resonator with a resonator, it has virtually the same insides, so you'd be spending money to accomplish virtually nothing.

I would advise starting with a resonator delete, then after that I would consider magnaflows, they're loud when you get on it, to an extent.. But they have a nice deep idle. Anything else that's louder will probably give you some annoying rasp and drone.
I'm not replacing the resonator with a glasspack. I don't have a resonator in that spot anymore because it had a hole in it so i cut it out and clamped in a pipe. That worked fine for a while but there are holes again and it sounds aweful. I do like the idea of the glasspack in place of my crappy pipe and putting in a new muffler. (not sure what kind yet though)

Question: If I buy the parts online, will muffler shops or some kind of auto shop weld on the pieces for me? Or do I have to use their parts?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sdowney
I'm not replacing the resonator with a glasspack. I don't have a resonator in that spot anymore because it had a hole in it so i cut it out and clamped in a pipe. That worked fine for a while but there are holes again and it sounds aweful. I do like the idea of the glasspack in place of my crappy pipe and putting in a new muffler. (not sure what kind yet though)

Question: If I buy the parts online, will muffler shops or some kind of auto shop weld on the pieces for me? Or do I have to use their parts?
I would go ask the muffler shop before you buy.. The shops in st.louis area
will put on the mufflers you bring them..

Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
I would go ask the muffler shop before you buy.. The shops in st.louis area
will put on the mufflers you bring them..
Depends on the shop. 90% of name brand shops, i.e. Firestone, Goodyear, the dealership, will not put on ANY parts that you bring them.

Your smaller regional chains, or your locally owned garages will do it though, just be sure the people there know what they're doing.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
1 Year Member

I had already planned to go to a privately owned shop. My buddy referred me to a shop that would do it