Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Tune After Headers process

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tune After Headers process

Just a FYI for those thinking of headers for their 06 - 07 Monte SS.

You will need a tune or re-tune after getting the headers. I an going to have Diablew tune the Deuce.

I got the latest tuner INTUNE by Diablo Sport. Lew can still do the tune if you are using the older Predator tuner but he can do more things with the In tune.

Restore your Stock tune if your car has already been tuned

Step one - update your tuner from the internet with the latest software

Step two - Load the tune either the 91 octane tune with no DOD or the 93 octane tune with no DOD.

Step three - Drive the car for about 150 miles to let the engine "Settle in" to the new tune as Lew puts it

Step four - Electronically log data (Lew will explain how to do this)

Step five - E-mail your tune and data log to Lew he will tweak your tune and email it back to you

Step 6 - Load the Tune from your PC to your tuner and load back on to your Monte!

The Stock tune and headers SUCK. I had to restore the stock tune to the Deuce before I mailed my predator back to Diablo Sport and the Deuce chokes on it with her headers

Diablo Sport will give you $100 off the purchase of the INTUNE if you mail the predator back to them (You must first get a RMA from them)

Hope this was informative.

Last edited by Tadcaster; 05-06-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM

Why not a hptune?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Why not a hptune?

I have just dealt with DiabLew in the past and like his work. A lot of members have used his tune.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow a tune from installing headers? Who would have thought, but it does sound logical now that you bring it up. Going to interesting to see how your Monte goes from re-configuired stock choking tune to a header modified tune. bet she will be loving the open roads...

Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tadd the stock tune just sucks period. Haha curious to see how mine runs with what I have landed on my overkill tune.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 AM

The stock tune in deed does suck, who ever designed these cars tunes suck A. If I could get a graphic chart from the dyno showing my stock trans points, vs mine now, you all would be amazed. When you see it on a dyno sheet what the stock puts out its amazing.

One thing is gas milage, Stock tune PULLS timing from gas, to compensate for EVERYTHING, when it doesnt need to, and if your not using premium with the ss, you sparks knock even at light accelertation. Im never going back to using 87, EVER. With my dyno tune finished, I havent dropped below 19 mpg on streets.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The stock tune in deed does suck, who ever designed these cars tunes suck A. If I could get a graphic chart from the dyno showing my stock trans points, vs mine now, you all would be amazed. When you see it on a dyno sheet what the stock puts out its amazing.

One thing is gas milage, Stock tune PULLS timing from gas, to compensate for EVERYTHING, when it doesnt need to, and if your not using premium with the ss, you sparks knock even at light accelertation. Im never going back to using 87, EVER. With my dyno tune finished, I havent dropped below 19 mpg on streets.
19mpg average isn't bad but it would be hard to believe that it could be city driving. I wouldn't trust your DIC mpg readout. Tends to be off after you tune until you put some miles on it.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Yeaa, thats what DIC said, even before my tune i was avging close to 16-18 depending on driving habits. But hasnt moved less than 19 since then, highway ive gotten up to 26-28.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM

The stock tune in deed does suck, who ever designed these cars tunes suck A.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. They may not have put the best tune in there for performance, but you need to appreciate all of the variables they take into account when making a tune. It has to work in all different climates and load conditions (hilly/flat, etc) on all different kinds of octane ratings, and put out specific levels of emissions at specific driving ranges and such. Also, they have to worry about warranty as well, so sometimes they have to hold back in order to give some breathing room so a part isn't being run at it's limits.

Someone doing their own aftermarket tune typically cares only about performance, and occasionally about gas mileage also- but otherwise has few other concerns. The engineers had a lot more variables to deal with.