Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Are these any good??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Are these any good??

Hey, i have no idea about headers but, are these any good, i mean theyre stainless and theyre 2.5" so what else could there be to it??
is 2.5" to small for a V8??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAIN...item23044be9e9

Last edited by wht02monte; 03-26-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Hey, i have no idea about headers but, are these any good, i mean theyre stainless and theyre 2.5" so what else could there be to it??

good for what if your posting questions for someone else please specify that in the thread, you have a ton of opened threads on here

Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM

I know that 2.5 inches for exhaust, downpipe, headers, all that stuff is what's recommended for the N/A 3800. The particular set of headers that you're looking at is either the best deal I've ever seen or one big gimmick, because I have never seen headers for less than $300.

My experience has told me that you usually get what you pay for. These will probably work with your car, might add a bit of power, but I can't say it'll do many positives for the sound. Then again I'm just going out on a limb on my speculations.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 PM

2.5" dual outlets isn't bad for a V8- the more important thing is what size are the primaries.

Also, what are you planning to put this on? I realize they say "70-07", but they also say

APPLICATIONS:Fits all small block Chevy engines from '55+ using the standard exhaust pattern - 283, 305, 327, 350, 400, etc.
So really it should stop with the 80's montes, since no other newer montes have an old school SBC (and no, the LS4 does not have the same exhaust pattern as the old SBC's).

The bad thing with these 'fit all' headers is they generally don't fit anything. I really doubt the clearance issues on all of the 1st-4th gen montes are identical- so obviously these headers probably won't drop in to any of them without mods.

I know that 2.5 inches for exhaust, downpipe, headers, all that stuff is what's recommended for the N/A 3800. The particular set of headers that you're looking at is either the best deal I've ever seen or one big gimmick, because I have never seen headers for less than $300.
That's apples to oranges though- a 2.5" downpipe and exhaust on a FWD 3800 means all of the exhaust is going through that single 2.5". In the ad posted, each header has a 2.5" outlet- so only 4/8 cylinders have to exit each one. So I'd imagine for the smaller cubic inch cars- thats probably awfully big- but you've got to figure the SBC can be built in a huge range of sizes- from the high 200's up to 400 cubic inches- so obviously what works on a 289 won't work as well on a 400.

My experience has told me that you usually get what you pay for. These will probably work with your car, might add a bit of power, but I can't say it'll do many positives for the sound. Then again I'm just going out on a limb on my speculations.
Umm, lol- yeah, if he had a small block chevy and a rear wheel drive conversion in his car.... (unless I'm missing something and he also has an older monte too)

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
good for what if your posting questions for someone else please specify that in the thread, you have a ton of opened threads on here
i am asking for a friend that has nothing to do with this website, so there is no thread to ask it in but the one i just made here!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member

its for a cutlass supreme '86 with the 305 not the 307 as he thinks HAHA
by the way he just needs somthing that will do alright cause there is nothing on there as of now.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member

i am asking for a friend that has nothing to do with this website, so there is no thread to ask it in but the one i just made here!!!!!!

well then, please specify that when posting new topics here, thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member

specify what that its for a friend?? whats that matter?? its a topic and thats what a forum is for who cares who its for??
or should i specify that there is no other thread that this topic is in?? i dont see any hurt being done with asking a question.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member

pass.......

Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM

specify what that its for a friend?? whats that matter?? its a topic and thats what a forum is for who cares who its for??
Yes, you should specify its for a friend, and then you should give us the rest of the relevant info- their car and engine, mods, etc. Since the ad listed your car model- we assume you're asking for your car (or at least I did).

How were we supposed to know they were for an 86 Cutlass with a 305?? I certainly would've never guessed. Not to mention, in this technological age- its rare for someone to ask questions for their friends, so the automatic assumption is that people are asking for themselves.

Its just generally when people post a question without specifying- everyone assumes it is for their car, and responds with their car and mods in mind. It would be like asking if this cold air intake works well- but not specifying that its for your friend's Ferrari F430- you see? Same thing with mod suggestions too- if you're asking if a mod is any good- we automatically respond based on the idea that they're going on your car, not your friend's car which is identical but has an extra $10k in engine mods, you know?

Now that we got that settled, you're going to be much better off having your friend get on the Cutlass boards (or G body boards)- as you probably already know, the active members on this forum are probably 98% W-bodies, so not only will we not be able to tell you if it will fit, but since that company doesn't make headers for our cars- we can't comment on quality or power gains either.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-26-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Are these any good??