Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Straight Piped the monte, now i need some advise :P

Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
...a 20 in should be good, i have a 23 bomb on the saturn going throught the stock muffler and you cant tell i changed anything with the exhaust so no muffs it should kill the drone and stupid loudness
You can go longer on your Monte if you want. The one I put on mine is 3.5" diameter with a 26" body and 30" overall length. After welding a flange on to bolt it to the cat we only had to cut about 2" behind the original weld in order to weld the Y pipe to it. Mine cost just over $30 delivered.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
i can almost garantee that they are built the a same way from what i have seen most resonators are glas packs!

and like i said the further back you place it and the longer it is the more it will reduce

i have had experiance with it may times, my budy loved to stick them right off his headers and it would be just stupid loud and drone like crazy, he finially put some piping then the glas pack and it cut way down on drone and stupid loudness,
came out to have a nice mellow tone, granted this had been on SBC 350's and Mopar 360's but i would asume the principle is the same, the furth you put it toward the rear axle the more it will tone it down a 20 in should be good, i have a 23 bomb on the saturn going throught the stock muffler and you cant tell i changed anything with the exhaust so no muffs it should kill the drone and stupid loudness

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
You can go longer on your Monte if you want. The one I put on mine is 3.5" diameter with a 26" body and 30" overall length. After welding a flange on to bolt it to the cat we only had to cut about 2" behind the original weld in order to weld the Y pipe to it. Mine cost just over $30 delivered.
Sorry guys looks like I'm not getting a vid of the straight pipe
I'm at the shop right now getting an 18" thrush glass pack put in
Hope it makes a diff

Old 08-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
Sorry guys looks like I'm not getting a vid of the straight pipe
I'm at the shop right now getting an 18" thrush glass pack put in
Hope it makes a diff
okay let us know how it turns out! vid that!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

good luck. hope it sounds good when you are dun

Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

well i have to say im disappointed
didnt make much of a difference so now i have to find a set of mufflers
this sucks, waste of money

anyone know where i can get a cheap pair?

i'll try to get a vid of it tomorrow

Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

that sucks.

I know they arent cheap but magnaflow mufflers always sound good

Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
that sucks.

I know they arent cheap but magnaflow mufflers always sound good
I found a set of new oem mufflers for $10
Not sure when I'm getting them on tho since I'm now broke

Going to have to deal with this loud monte

Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Man, that's harsh, Frank. At least you found some mufflers for a killer price though. I wish I could find deals like that around here. I know what you mean about lack of funding...I've spent quite a bit on my Monte in the last couple of weeks. Maybe swing by the local apothecary house and pick up a pair of ear plugs until you can get your mufflers welded on.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Man, that's harsh, Frank. At least you found some mufflers for a killer price though. I wish I could find deals like that around here. I know what you mean about lack of funding...I've spent quite a bit on my Monte in the last couple of weeks. Maybe swing by the local apothecary house and pick up a pair of ear plugs until you can get your mufflers welded on.
it's all good man
im glad i was able to find some mufflers this quick and cheap!!!!!!
they're almost new in great shape since he had em on his 85 monte ss for a few weeks

they're oem replacements so theyre not as fat as my stock ones that were on the monte

i can't wait to get them on

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM

A resonator might help with SOME drone, but it's still going to sound like crap IMO.
well i have to say im disappointed
didnt make much of a difference so now i have to find a set of mufflers
I hate to say it, but we told you. I'm not sure who was misleading you that you were going to make the car quieter with a resonator/glasspack- you still have a massive open hole through the center for the sound waves to travel out of.

For the most part, the muffler is responsible for the bulk of the sound volume reduction, the resonator just helps with certain tones/frequencies; so what you need to quiet it down is a real muffler. The problem with OEM or OEM replacement mufflers is that you're going to go back to a nearly OEM sound. I'm assuming you hacked all the exhaust off because you wanted it louder in the first place- so my suggestion would be to find a nice middle ground aftermarket muffler. Not all aftermarket mufflers are screaming loud- they make many different styles for just about any level of sound you want between stock and straight pipe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Straight Piped the monte, now i need some advise :P