Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

So as i was coming home from a sucky day at work guess what i seen at my door step...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'm sure not- the 3800 header market is VERY competitive right now- you have SLP and Pacesetter at the middle of the price pack (I heard that TOG was going to start making again too- dunno if its just for a short run or what)- with the various knockoffs of those two designs all over ebay (SSAC, XSPower, DPP, etc), plus S&S (assuming they still make headers) and ZZP's new ones.

If they tried to release headers on the 3800 market for their $1000 price tag, I doubt they'd sell a single one. Especially with everybody buying the $275-300 headers and having good results. It would be hard for any company to come in fresh and compete with that- it would be almost impossible for them to compete on price with the budget sets- and there isn't a whole lot you can do different on the more expensive sets (save for angled primaries or something).
I hear what your saying, but I thought about what I read over in that LS1 thread posted above. Those $1000 headers were discounted on a group buy to $599, with ceramic coating, when they got a minimum buy. Now the 3800 community has got to be much larger than the LS4 community by far and they were able to pull off a custom build. And that is a steal for headers with ceramic coatings inside/outside.

And where did you hear that TOGs was going to ramp up production again? Are any of those so-called ebay knock offs any good in quality? coatings? fitment issues?

thanks

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

I hear what your saying, but I thought about what I read over in that LS1 thread posted above. Those $1000 headers were discounted on a group buy to $599, with ceramic coating, when they got a minimum buy. Now the 3800 community has got to be much larger than the LS4 community by far and they were able to pull off a custom build. And that is a steal for headers with ceramic coatings inside/outside.
Even with ceramic coating- I don't see them being able to beat the price on SSAC's (like $300 + coating)- especially if they design the headers from scratch (instead of just copy SLP). Even if they could match the price of SSAC's for a group buy- once they go to normal price (if its anything like their LS4 headers)- they're going to be higher than the bulk of the market.

The 3800 market may be larger- but you're also not going to have near the response from a group buy to make another version of what we already have (ie like 6 different types of headers)- especially if its going to be more expensive than what is already out there. With the LS4 guys, it was different- they had no option at all, so they got a lot more people jumping in. It would just be like someone doing an initial buy in for a new 3800 cam, or new 3800 rockers, you know?

And where did you hear that TOGs was going to ramp up production again?
Jonbob (the guy with the 530ish whp whipple car)- he said something about new ownership or something of that nature- and was wanting to know if I wanted to get in on a run of TOG extremes for my setup. It sounded like they might try and come back into the market again- but that was a couple months ago and I haven't heard anything since (haven't really asked either though).

Are any of those so-called ebay knock offs any good in quality? coatings? fitment issues?
IMO, the knockoffs of the pacesetters (obx, and a few others) have a lot of problems, but are cheaper. The SSAC's and their various companies seem to be pretty good. I actually have a version of the SSAC's myself (actually DPP's)- basically just SLP knockoffs. They fit fine, just need copper RTV and quality clamps on the crossover (instead of the cheap clamps that come with it)- a lot of people have been very happy with them.

They're not coated, but they are stainless. But heck, some of those ebay headers go for like $250-300 (I want to say SSAC's are about $300 now)- so even paying to have them coated, they're still dirt cheap.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-19-2010 at 10:01 PM.