Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Next Step

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Next Step

I have an 04 supercharged SS. So far I have put in a wizaired CAI recommended by this forum and its great. I plan on purchasing the 3" downpipe from zzp very soon also as recommended. What is the next upgrade I should be looking at? Headers, Catback, Powerlog, PCM? I am going for power, I don't really care about sound too much right now so a catback is probly the last thing I need unless it will gain me HP. However I use this car for everyday driving so I am not too interested in dropping pulleys or anything overly expensive. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Next Step

I am not a S/C expert, but I think it is called a U-bend delete.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM

The U-bend delete is included in the zzp downpipe.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 AM

Hi Nocturnx,
Sounds like you have some great project mod's going for your Monte.
I would suggest using our MCF Search Engine & Explore.
or
Contact Member's by PM like
ExplosiveSoundz
04 Intimidator
RockSS04
We have several member's with the BadAzz 3.8L SuperCharged Engine.
Be Patience, & I'm sure that they will post their suggestions, and
comments.
Please keep the forum member's updated on your mod's & progress.
Good Luck

Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM

In terms of budget $$$ for your "more power" project, how much do you want to spend this year, and how much can you spend next year?

What are your ultimate horsepower goals? Do you want 300 crank HP, 350 crank, more?

Here's a post I put up a long time ago on mymonte.com. It gives you an idea of what power you can make with certain mods...

__________________________________________________ ________________

Stock = 240 Horsepower/280 Torque (CRANK) *estimated by GM*

I have personally dynoed 4 times at various mod stages... all at the same dyno. Here are my results:

BONE STOCK (except for K&N drop-in filter)
May 15/2004: 193WHP/215WTQ
(193/240= 80.4% efficiency)
(215/280= 76.8% efficiency)
Max torque is at 3600RPM... 2nd gear kicked in at near 4000rpm, so torque would have ran up to 22x, matching the same 80% efficiency.

MILDLY MODDED (WizAired CAI, 3.4", DHP, Autolite 104 Plugs, ZZP poly mounts, 180* T-stat)
October 10th, 2004: 234WHP/257WTQ
234/80% = 291 Crank HP *Estimated*

MODERATELY MODDED (MILDLY + TOG Headers, 3.25" SC pulley, Custom 3" catback, hi-flo resonator, Hi-Flo cat, no U-bend, Magnaflow Muffs)
April 27th, 2005: 249WHP/276WTQ
249/80% = 309 Crank HP *Estimated*
Headers didn't add that much, but my tune was still a stock DHP, and the fueling wasn't optimal, so I could have squeezed 255, maybe 260 out of those mods.

CAMMED (MODERATELY + Custom Grind "Overkill" CAM, DHP PowrTuner, 3.25SC Pulley)
June 14th, 2005: 272WHP/276WTQ
272/80%= 339 Crank HP *Estimated*
Super Humid and hot day, 92F

I hope this helps in giving you an idea what it takes to make those levels of power. Of course, every L67 (3800SC) engine will not respond the same way to the same mods... also, some cars will dyno bigger TQ numbers because of converter flash, which this dyno seems to correct, because my TQ numbers are not gi-normous, but if you sit in the passenger seat, the TQ is there... :twisted:

300WHP is not an easy task... at that level... your tranny will start complaining, big time. The next mod you should plan after you attain 300whp is a tranny rebuild with stronger internals.

Oh, and read up before making decisions. and do some searching... the search tool is your friend... zzperformance.com is your friend... check out their TECH ARTICLES... one of them is called "where to begin modding your GTP"

GTP = Supercharged SS with a different shell. :wink:

Peace out.

I had dynoed once since after having the ported blower and N* throttle body, and a 3.0" pulley. That made 301whp/315wtq, which is about 375 crank HP.

Now, I have a completely different cam, different blower, but mostly the same everything else. I'm probably making somewhere in the neighbourhood of 360whp.

Let us know your goals, and we'll help you from there. Happy modding!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:10 PM

Wow great info Lav, and all in one place! Unfortunatley my budget is not great, my wife would kill me if she found out I dropped $800 on TOG headers so items like that are out. I think somewhere between your "Mildly" modded and "Moderately" modded is as far as I'm willing to go since it's an everyday car. Looks like I need to pick-up some Autolite 104 plugs and a 180* T-stat right away, those are cheap. I was also looking at the zzp polly mounts but after reading the reviews of increased vibration and noise I'm a bit weary of those. Is the vibration and noise as excessive as I've read?

Where you have DHP listed I assume thats a DHP PCM? I actually live pretty close to Milzy and just need to make an appointment with him to get my PCM programmed. I am considering the zzp front "power log and ported manifold" as my next big upgrade, thoughts on that? I have some simple noobie questions that I can't seem to find anywhere as well. Like will a 3" bolt-on downpipe fit my stock exhaust until I can get a 3" cat-back system? Or should I go for the 2.5" downpipe and get a cat-back system to match? I'm asking because I'm interested in the Dynomax catback, but I think it is a 2.25" system, will I see any gain from that?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i've got a dynomax, and that is a 2.25 system. its real quiet at first, but they get louder as you go, they have to break in.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm glad you like the info...

For SC cars, no matter whether you go deep down the rabbit hole, 3" DP is what you need to keep the hot exhaust flowing out, rather than trapping, and causing boost stack, and eventual KR. The ZZP Powerlog is excellent for those wanting good 3.4" pulley power. ZZP 3" DP (not for TOG headers, but stock manifolds), with u-bend delete, and a 3" hi-flo cat, with the resonator removed, will give you the flow you need. The mufflers can stay there until you pass 300whp.

I see you really enjoying 300 crank HP with a powerlog, the 3" exhaust work, 3.4" pulley, 180*tstat and 104 plugs, and that WizAired intake, along witha good tune by Milzy to wrap that up. That's a great combo right there, and will give you enough power to keep up with the newer Mustangs.

First, I would suggest getting all your mods in place first, then getting the tune, since the PCM tune is specific for your mods. Also, I'd suggest getting your PCM tune on a average day in terms of climate in your region. If the daily avg is 60*, then try and get tuned on a day like that, since as temps and humidity change, the PCM adjusts, and will remove or add fuel in certain areas (long term fuel trims).

Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Stay away from the ZZP poly mounts. I just installed them, and I hate them, Excessive noise and vibration. They are coming out when I figure what else to put in, as the stockers are not going back in.
Lav74, good advice and info! Do you have roller rockers? I'm thinking about some 1.84's for mine, along with springs. Cam later.
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Wayne, Thanks for the heads up on those ZZP poly mounts. I want as much cheap HP as I can get, but not at the sacrifice of comfort.

Lav, You recommend the 3.4" pulley, would it be safer to go with a 3.5" pulley? I read there is only a 5 HP gain from going from the 3.5 to the 3.4. The 3.5 gets me 20 HP and will cause less KR and be less of a strain on my tranny won't it? Thanks for all your advice!

Quick Reply: Next Step