Go Back  Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Headers/Intake/Exhaust
Reload this Page >

Opinion Needed: Should I get CAI or add high flow cat for next upgrade?

Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinion Needed: Should I get CAI or add high flow cat for next upgrade?

Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 PM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Should I get CAI or add high flow cat for next upgrade?

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo LS and when tax return comes around I want to make an upgrade to my car. I narrowed it down to either a Wizaired cold air intake or high flow catalytic converter to eliminate the U-bend and complete my exhaust setup that I have with the y-pipe and aftermarket mufflers. I'm just trying to decide which one will benefit me more and I would like some opinions of others that have done these mods to their cars. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2015, 05:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

With a 3400, unless you plan to get a turbo, I would do this:
- Cold air intake (I have a Wizaird, honestly, I think the Cold Air Inductions looks like a better produced product).
- Have an exhaust shop cut the U-bend out and the resonator. Odds are that will be cheaper or equal to buying a new downpipe.

If you still want to go downpipe with a high flow cat then, do the downpipe next. You can "gut the air box" for a "cheap" cold air intake (and that only costs you some time).

If you have not seen this, it's a good thread about cheap 3400 mods:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/

Old 11-06-2015, 01:50 PM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac View Post
With a 3400, unless you plan to get a turbo, I would do this:
- Cold air intake (I have a Wizaird, honestly, I think the Cold Air Inductions looks like a better produced product).
- Have an exhaust shop cut the U-bend out and the resonator. Odds are that will be cheaper or equal to buying a new downpipe.

If you still want to go downpipe with a high flow cat then, do the downpipe next. You can "gut the air box" for a "cheap" cold air intake (and that only costs you some time).

If you have not seen this, it's a good thread about cheap 3400 mods:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/
Alright thanks. I'll probably go with the Wizaired cold air intake. When I bought the car the resonator was bad so I had an exhaust shop take it out and replace it with pipe so the resonator is already gone. I'll probably just do the catalytic converter at a later time

Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 AM

A new CAI can improve the sound and throttle response of your Monte.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by rexdews View Post
a new cai can improve the sound and throttle response of your monte.
x2 !!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by AHart87 View Post
I have a 2004 Monte Carlo LS and when tax return comes around I want to make an upgrade to my car. I narrowed it down to either a Wizaired cold air intake or high flow catalytic converter to eliminate the U-bend and complete my exhaust setup that I have with the y-pipe and aftermarket mufflers. I'm just trying to decide which one will benefit me more and I would like some opinions of others that have done these mods to their cars. Thanks!

I will differ with the previous responses and say go with the hi-flow cat. I noticed much better performance when I installed my Magnaflow over a stock replacement.

I'm not sure about your air intake box, but my SS basically has a straight thru pipe from the front to the filter so a cai doesn't make as much sense to me, especially for the cost.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get the CAI love mine!

Attached Thumbnails Should I get CAI or add high flow cat for next upgrade?-189.jpg   Should I get CAI or add high flow cat for next upgrade?-135.jpg   Should I get CAI or add high flow cat for next upgrade?-49.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.