Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinion Needed: Resonator swap + Muffler delete questions

Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 PM
1 Year Member
Default Resonator swap + Muffler delete questions

Hi guys,

I decided that I will try swapping the stock resonator for a Cherry Bomb glasspack, and removing the mufflers. I've watched the videos and I like this sound the best (for the price). I know there are better setups, but I can't justify paying for new mufflers when I payed so little for my Monte. This option also allows me to add mufflers back on if I want to change it up later. I'm new to cars in general, so I can use all the opinions I can get.

A few questions:
1. What neck diameter and length glasspack will I need to replace the single resonator? (Exhaust system is currently stock except for tips)
2. Do people typically do anything else like increase the pipe diameter somewhere with this setup? Benefits to going to a 2.5 pipe after the res? Or can you just replace the resonator, straight pipe mufflers, and be done with it?
3. I have larger aftermarket exhaust tips that the previous owner put on. Will it be a problem to keep them with the straight piped muffler delete?

Thanks so much and pardon my ignorance!

Last edited by CaptainDawson; 05-23-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainDawson
1. What neck diameter and length glasspack will I need to replace the single resonator? (Exhaust system is currently stock except for tips)
IMO just go to an exhaust shop and see what they've got (assuming you weren't going to weld it on yourself). From what I've seen, you're not going to save big money buying online vs just buying there, especially not for a $20 glasspack. Length is up to you, the shorter it is, the less impact it'll have and more like straight pipe it'll be.

2. Do people typically do anything else like increase the pipe diameter somewhere with this setup? Benefits to going to a 2.5 pipe after the res? Or can you just replace the resonator, straight pipe mufflers, and be done with it?
Since cost seems like a big concern, don't touch the piping. You're not going to gain any power anyways. Just have them hack out the old stuff and weld on the new and be done.

3. I have larger aftermarket exhaust tips that the previous owner put on. Will it be a problem to keep them with the straight piped muffler delete?
Assuming they're just a regular tips it won't be a problem. From what I've seen a larger outlet tip is a bit louder by having a 'trumpet' effect to scatter the sound, but it's going to be stupid loud anyways so I don't think it's a big deal unless you don't like how they look.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for your reply!

The shop I'm going to doesn't carry Cherry Bombs, so I'll need to buy it myself. Do I need the straight neck, or a header? I'm not familiar with the exhaust system on this car.

https://cherrybomb.com/project/87510cb/

https://cherrybomb.com/project/87556cb-2/

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Do they carry any glasspack? I wouldn't get too hung up on a specific brand name, they're all basically the same inside, especially these cheapo ones.

Don't buy the header flanged one, it's a waste of money as there is nothing to hook to- that's designed to bolt on to a long tube header collector of a RWD car. Regular pipe in/out is what you want.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:28 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the help! I'll post a video somewhere on the forum of the sound once I get the work done.

Search this Thread