Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

resenator leaking, need opinions on fix please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Default resenator leaking, need opinions on fix please

my resenator has a leak/hole on the top under the shroud and i am trying to decide what to do. Am i better off patching it? cutting off the resonator and putting in a new one? straight pipe? new exhaust system from the cat back? trying to weigh cost vs ease and life of parts. i appreciate any and all opinions

Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 PM

a muffler shop can take it off and put on a new one or remove it completly opon request. if you have a pype put in its place it will give itmore of a throter sound. rill you deside or when it comes for a new moffler it will be your choice as well put on a cat back or muffler.i will just put on a pype where the resinator is imp it is what you choose is what the end resolt is what you perfer. what i would do is go with out and put a pype in till the time comes for a complet replacement of the system

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

ive heard putting in just a pipe also makes a lot of drone

Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My res rotted all along where it was seamed. I first had a shop replace it with an aftermarket one. I bought the Monte in '08 with 52,000 on it, it now has 62,000. This happened when I first bought it. In less then 10,000 miles I had it into the shop 4 times for the res (the initial time, another time due to noise, a 3rd time time they swapped the res for another res).

By the 4th time I was tired of dealing with this (even though it was all under warranty, this was getting silly). I know a couple others who have w-bodies and had their res replaced at the same shop, had ZERO problems. The shop worked with me, so I have no complaints.

As of the 4th visit (which was this past spring), I had them remove the res and just put in a piece of pipe. DONE! One less thing to worry about it.

Everyone says the exhaust is "drony". Personally, I think it sounds almost the same, just a little tinny. In my opinion, no big deal. Worth it for the added performance AND more importantly, not having the hassle to deal with aftermarket resonators.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go with a straight pipe. I took out the reasinator off the Deuce. You get a better sound too.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Another option is to replace the resonator with a glasspack muffler and retain the stock mufflers. I replaced my resonator with a Magnaflow glasspack and I think it sounds great. It's slightly louder than stock at idle, under acceleration and at cruise with a mellow tone to it. No drone whatsoever.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Another option is to replace the resonator with a glasspack muffler and retain the stock mufflers. I replaced my resonator with a Magnaflow glasspack and I think it sounds great. It's slightly louder than stock at idle, under acceleration and at cruise with a mellow tone to it. No drone whatsoever.

Now thats a good Idea

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member

Yea I've been looking at the magnaflows or a cherry bomb. What size glasspack did u get? Cuz I have a 6th Gen and the thing is huge. I measured it and the resenator is around 30"long. So would I probably need a small length of pipe just in case its not a perfect fit?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member

and what is the diameter of the inlet and outlet?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I used the Dynomax/Walker flange #41806 (<- link) and the Magnaflow #18145 (<- link) glasspack and it worked out to the same length as the OE resonator. I did the install (along with a new downpipe/cat) at a friend's shop. We did have to use a pipe expander on the extension pipe behind the glasspack, but a reducer would also work.

Quick Reply: resenator leaking, need opinions on fix please