Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Question on powerlogs from ZZP

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question on powerlogs from ZZP

So i have been trying to talk to ZZp recently and i E-mailed them with a question on the front and rear powerlogs that are ceramic coated and "TURBO TIM"said that the rear powerlog is for turbo set ups only. is this true? I wouldn't think that it is because they have different powerlogs for a turbo set up and other ones for a NAset up.

then another question i have can the powerlogs be installed with out pulling the engine? I am almost positive they can, because i cant remember who but didnt somebody install headers with out pulling the engine on here?

I think alli have to do is "roll" the engine forward for more room in the back and the front just move the dogbones out of the way. Is that correct?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Default RE: Question on powerlogs from ZZP

I installed my SLP Headers without pulling the engine. I don't think I've actually heard of someone pulling the engine just to get headers on. The powerlog will be even easier.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Ok...
First off, as far as installation, there is no need to pull a 3800 for header/ manifold install. As you already stated, removing the dogbones and rolling the engine forward a little bit will DEF. make a world of difference. Just remember to leave the trans in neutral when rolling the motor forward

Moving on to your question about the rear p-log. "Turbo Tim" was trying to explain this:

...notice the rear p-log does not have a provision for the stock downpipe location while the ported manifold does. This is because in turbo applications, your downpipe will be comming off the turbo (which in the case of 3800s,is generally mounted on the crossover pipe).

Therefore, if you were to purchase a zzp front and rear p-log, then custom fab a crossover (which you would need to do as your stock unit would not bolt up), then the exhaust gasses would have no where to go. You would have to look into having a fab shop make a crossover with an outlet to the stock location of the downpipe. Honestly, at that point you would be better off purchasing a set of ceramic coated SLP's that you KNOW are going to fit right without any guess work. When all is said and done between the 400$ in p-logs, plus figure another 200-300 in fab work for a stainless crossover, you are already up in the prime set of headers price range.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So what i want to order then is the front powerlog and ported rear manifold so the downpipe would just bolt up to the rear manifold like the stock setup. Is that right?

i just didn't realize the difference between the rear ported manifold and rear powerlog

thanks for the help

Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM

essentially, yes you would want just the front p-log and poreted rear. all and all, you are not going to see huge differences with the ported rear (been there, done that). you would most likeyly be better off just getting the front p-log, or save up for a nice set of headers.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 PM

There's no real sense in upgrading the rear manifold anyways- its not that bad in stock form. Obviously a set of real headers is better- but its really not that bad. The front one is the real bottleneck.

I just put my plog on today with no other mods, and I was happy with the change- only takes about 20/30 minutes.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM

X2 The front manifold removal and installation is easy.

It gets to be a pain with headers, but the gain is very nice.

It all depends on the mods you are going to do. Since you don't have a supercharged vehicle, I would stick with the PLog.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM

Keep it in Park when rolling the engine forward, otherwise, you can push the car back and forth all you want, and it won't affect the rotational position of the engine.

I've installed headers with the engine in the car... the rear header is tight to get in, but once you roll it forward (be careful of the AC lines in front), there's just enough room.

Front P-log should be all you need if you are staying NA. Good luck with the install.