Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Default Question!

If I bought an electric exhaust cutout and had it put before the cat, when I close it and have the exhaust going through the cutout would this effectively bypass the U-Bend? :O I've been looking at doing straight pipes and the u-bend, but I don't want to have that noise all the time, and so I'm wondering if I can kill 2 birds with one stone here

Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Yes if you put it before the cat it will bypass the U-Bend because all the exhaust will come out before the cat. just make sure you run a pipe out to the side somewhere so that you dont have all the exhasut heat right there and fumes as well.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
Yes if you put it before the cat it will bypass the U-Bend because all the exhaust will come out before the cat. just make sure you run a pipe out to the side somewhere so that you dont have all the exhasut heat right there and fumes as well.
Hmm.. well is there anywhere else I could put it that I wouldn't need to run extra pipe? Also, is an electric cutout worth the price?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:51 PM

I've seen it run right after the cat. But me personally would always run a pipe to bring it right out to the side. Honestly for the price you can get a really good exhaust set up and you wont actually see much if ay of a gain from the cutout on our engines.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
If I bought an electric exhaust cutout and had it put before the cat, when I close it and have the exhaust going through the cutout would this effectively bypass the U-Bend? :O I've been looking at doing straight pipes and the u-bend, but I don't want to have that noise all the time, and so I'm wondering if I can kill 2 birds with one stone here
Hi Beendan: I've had electric cut outs on my built Chevelle for a couple of yrs now. NO cats on this ride. You don't have to have them open all the time. Hench electric cut outs. I have a little switch down near my seat. When I want to make some noise. I open it take less the 10 seconds to open or close. Incase John is around . Mine point towards the side of the car from underneath. But you can't see them from the street. I wanted to look stock incase John starts looking. I LOVE mine I play with them everytime I go out. What makes it nicer is I have a NICE cam so it thumps pretty nice at idle......yeah baby I open them just a little when I'm driving thru the neighborhood. Just enough for someone to hear them. Got mine from Summit catalog

Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 PM

The main difference here. That has a nice V8 in it. cutouts on the V6 dont sound as nice. lol. If I had your car I would put cut outs on as well.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
I've seen it run right after the cat. But me personally would always run a pipe to bring it right out to the side. Honestly for the price you can get a really good exhaust set up and you wont actually see much if ay of a gain from the cutout on our engines.
You say a really nice exhaust set up, and that's by your standards though.. I hated the stock exhaust because I couldn't even hear the engine while driving, now I can, and to be quite honest It's got a good sound too it, not very loud. I'd like something a tad louder with more of the rumble my friends early 2000s mustang gt v6 has with the magnaflow setup. Right now my exhaust makes more of a constant rumble than what the mustang has.. if I could explain it I would lol..

His car sounds like this..

I know it won't sound like that at all, but my exhaust doesn't make that rumble, and that's what I want. Mine makes more of a sound like this with a lower tone..

Old 07-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats the nature of the 3800's tone. Its not very good and it gets raspy very easily.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i like electronic cutouts alot. its awesome to be able to go from loud to quiet in about 3 seconds. you dont need to run a pip off the cutout to the side of the car, a cutout is suppose to dump the exhaust as quick as possible if you pipe it to the side then you defeated the purpose of the cut out. aim the cutout down and toward the passengers side of the car and you will be fine. the cutout should be installed at the very bottom of the down pipe. but keep in mind if your not sc or turbo you could actually lose some power do to no back pressure....

^^^video of turbo monte with cutout open (open down pipe)^^^

now keep in mind this is a turbo car with a cammed, bored, ported head engine

Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Thats the nature of the 3800's tone. Its not very good and it gets raspy very easily.
My exhaust isn't very raspy actually, I'm just saying it has more of a flat noise than a rumble. It's nice and deep, but no rumble when accelerating, it lets of a nice backfire-ish sound when you let off the gas, and it rumbles a bit when you rev it a little sitting still.

Originally Posted by turbo monte
i like electronic cutouts alot. its awesome to be able to go from loud to quiet in about 3 seconds. you dont need to run a pip off the cutout to the side of the car, a cutout is suppose to dump the exhaust as quick as possible if you pipe it to the side then you defeated the purpose of the cut out. aim the cutout down and toward the passengers side of the car and you will be fine. the cutout should be installed at the very bottom of the down pipe. but keep in mind if your not sc or turbo you could actually lose some power do to no back pressure....

^^^video of turbo monte with cutout open (open down pipe)^^^

now keep in mind this is a turbo car with a cammed, bored, ported head engine
I wish there was a video of a stock 3800 with a cutout. Also, is there anything special about the passenger side?