Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

prosound muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Default RE: prosound muffler?

Thanks for those sound clips. Sounds good enough for me.

One other question, since I have a 3400 there is only one muffler and a single exit right now. Is there any sound advantage to getting a Y-pipe with 2 mufflers and 2 exits? If not id like to save the money and just replace the single one I have now.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the prosound and flowmaster have about the same sound imo. i went to flowmaster authorize shop once cause i was thinking about replacing it with super 44 series. the guy told me to turn my car on. after i turn on he asked me what series are the flowmaster and i told him they are prosound. he was surprised cause he thought they are flowmaster. he told me to save money and keep what i have cause what i have are just as good as the brand name.

i'm not sure about the advantage of the sound with 2 mufflers on 3400 motor, but imo i would think so. i know i saw many guy with the 3400 motor upgrade their to the dual mufflers. not only that i think it would look better with 2 mufflers exit. btw my mc is cammed, p p heads, headers, 3" exhaust, and no cat. your carwill notsound like mine cause of the upgrades and motor difference.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Well I did some research and it seems that one muffler is actually louder than two. Because with one, 100% of the sound has to go through, where as with two, its 50% on each one so its a little more quite.

And i thought of another question, any one know the sound difference in leaving the resonator vs. taking it out? I've heard that it controls the "drone" but doesn't really affect overall volume. If thats the case I may just leave it in since the prosound should make it louder anyways.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my car's duals are louder because i don't have a muffler on my pipes

unless he's going to cut you a deal in cutting the resonator now, i'd leave it and see how you like it. the if you think it's plenty loud with just the prosounds or whatever you put on, put a big smile on your face and keep driving. if it's not loud enough, cut the resonator-i've never done an exhaust change where i only removed the resonator but i'd think it would have to make it noticably louder, although increasing cabin drone.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

yellow mc, do your car a favor and leave the resonator and cat on and do not remove it! your car will sound like an *** or should i say ricer. sure it's might sound good to you at idle, but wait til driving off causeit will sound raspy as hell. i never done before, but i heard some people install glasspack to get that nice rumble sound. since yours a 3400 don't know ithow it wound sound. iimagine it probably sound nice too. on mine i had to put the resonator back on. if you would of hear my car in person, it's loud! the resonator only tone up the exhaust sound but won't quiet it down. sometime i can still hear little raspy sound on my exhaust at wot.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Okay thanks for the reply. I was afraid it might sound too raspy being a V6 and I definitly don't want that. I have read the 3400s sound a little better than 3800s anyways, so hopefully just changing the muffler should give me the sound I want.

Now I just have to wait till my appointment this friday...

EDIT: Just found this video on youtube. Exactly what I want mine to sound like. Tho its a grand am, it has the same engine as mine and he kept the resonator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DTK-...eature=related

Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my car has a glasspack on it so... i got that one glasspack right behind the cat where the resonator is on your car nad thats all.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM

My car was raspy as hell when I first had it done. After about 50-100 miles it mellowed out.

No it's only raspy for a few seconds at startup if I haven't ran it in a few days.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 AM

Ahh I dunno what to do. I'm 18 years old so I want to hear it but I don't want it to be so loud that it becomes annoying. It seems most youtube videos of people doing exhaust they take the res. off.

I guess ill just ask the shop how much more it will be to take it off. Maybe base my opinion off that

Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 PM

I had mine taken out at the beginning so I never got a chance to hear what it'd sound like with it still in there. It does have drone usually the worst around 55, but you can only really hear it if the music is turned down and the only time the music is under 1/4th volume is when I have people with me. I'm thinking about maybe throwing a glasspack in there just to see what it'd sound like.

Quick Reply: prosound muffler?